Any software platform which does not move with the times will quickly become obsolete.
And as we are continually improving and extending Dynamicweb to be able to deliver the best possible performance, the requirements for using and hosting a Dynamicweb solution will also change.
Here are the current requirements for:
- Working with the Dynamicweb backend
- Hosting your Dynamicweb solution
Since Dynamicweb is a web-based platform, both visitors and editors will access a Dynamicweb solution using a browser – and that browser may have an effect on how the backend or a website is presented to the visitor.
Dynamicweb aims to conform to W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standards – the de-facto standards for web technology. These standards are followed to varying degrees by the different browser developers.
The following browsers are supported by Dynamicweb for backend administration:
- Microsoft Edge: Only latest
Internet Explorer: 11.0+(Retired as of Dynamicweb 9.4)
- Mozilla Firefox: Only latest
- Google Chrome: Only latest
- Apple Safari: Only latest
At present, no other browsers are supported for backend administration.
Frontend compatibility is heavily dependent on your frontend design and your templates. We strongly recommend that you always follow W3C standards, especially when creating Dynamicweb templates. And never copy text into an editor without stripping the formatting from it.
The following browsers are supported for website browsing:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer (v. 9+)
- Mozilla Firefox (v. 40+)
- Google Chrome (v. 40+)
- Apple Safari (v. 9+)
- Opera (v. 12+)
Again, these are the minimum requirements from a technical perspective, and depend on your solution partner also creating a design which works on the browsers you wish to support.
Dynamicweb and iDevices
Our rich text editors do not work on iDevices like iPad or iPhone - this is due to technical restrictions imposed by Apple. You should have no problems when using other Apple products.
Supported languages and encodings
There are no restrictions on the languages and encodings you can use on your website – but keep in mind that they should be supported by both the website server and the visitor’s browser.
The Dynamicweb administration interface supports the following languages:
- English, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Faeroese, German, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian and Polish.
This means, that the backend is available in a localized version for all those languages.
The Dynamicweb administration interface is designed for a minimum width of 1280 pixels. At this resolution basic functionality is guaranteed to work but more advanced functionality may require scrolling.
For an optimal experience we recommend a width of 1920 pixels or more.
To host your Dynamicweb solution, you need to install it on a system with the right:
- Database setup
The minimum hardware requirements for hosting Dynamicweb 9 are:
- Dual or Quad-Core Intel©- processor – or equivalent. Use quad-core if visitor counts tend to spike.
- Minimum 4GB RAM – 8GB if running an SQL server. Memory requirements are heavily dependent on the amount of content, and the number of simultaneous visitors.
- SAS hard disks in RAID level 1 configuration.
With these minimum hardware requirements, you will be able to handle traffic equivalent to 5-10.000 daily sessions, depending on implementation and module usage.
Using other software versions than those stated below may affect your solution. Test software interoperability thoroughly prior to using newer versions. Software requirements may change without notice.
Dynamicweb must be installed on a server running the operating system (OS):
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (x64) or newer
We recommend that you use Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64) for new installations.
The following system components must be available on the server running the system:
- Microsoft IIS© must be installed and configured for .NET. Dynamicweb supports IIS 7, IIS 7.5, IIS 8 and newer
- Microsoft .NET framework version 4.6 – download the latest updates from the .NET section of the Microsoft Download Center.
- Dynamicweb 9 only supports 64 bit application pools with integrated pipeline in IIS
The following Windows Services are required by some features in Dynamicweb:
- Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)
Dynamicweb must run on one of the following Microsoft SQL Server editions:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016
We recommend that you use Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Web Edition (x64)
Web edition is the database of choice for most installations – some hosting environments or scenarios may benefit from a standard edition.