Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Friendly way to add Product or Group link

Friendly way to add Product or Group link

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,
Since we are claiming to have CMS and e-commerce integrated, I am thinking that it's time to improve the way we connect CMS and e-commerce from the content perspective.

And I am thinking specifically about the way we can add now a link to a group or a product in all link fields. Right now, the admin has to go to the front-end, find the link they need and paste it in the link field.

This approach has 2 downsides:

1. it is totally unfriendly

2. if something changes on the product or group, the link will no longer be valid

I am thinking that we should have, in all link fields, the possibility to add either an internal link (supported already), a product or group link (needed) and a text link (supported already).

Maybe having multiple tabs in the dialog for choosing the link would solve it. The product tab can have the same interface as we have now when adding related products.

One little nice-to-have option would be to save or not the GroupID in the link, for situations where Products are rendered directly in the root of the website or when the link of the product without group information is used as canonical.

Since we don't have access to edit this behavior of the control, it's all in your hands.

@Community: If someone else sees any benefit from having this implemented, please say so. Otherwise, I am sure there are other improvements on DW agenda already.

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

+1

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

Can't you use a "Product" field for this? https://doc.dynamicweb.com/documentation-9/content/items/item-fields#8398

/Morten

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

Oh... you mean links inside rich text?

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Morten,

Not only the Rich text editor. For example, in Item types, if you add a Link type field, you can add a link to a file, paragraph or to a page. Not to a product or a group.

There are other places where you can add links. Including the Shortcut or Redirect (although these might sound a bit extreme).

For example, one good use can be the DirectPaths/Redirects (which will also be a subject to a separate feature request).

Almost everywhere where you can add a link, you should be able to add a link to a Product or Group. Even if the link field is inside a Group or a Product (although this use might be very niched).

The Product field type, will not help with this request as the data is stored differently (p_PRODUCTOID01:) and it also allows for multiple selections. I believe this field was build for a separate purpose.

Thank you,

Adrian