Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Item relation lists and multiple languages

Item relation lists and multiple languages

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing an issue on a customer site with regard to item relation lists and languages.

I have an item type that I use to create pages. This item type has an item relation list pointing to pages of a different item type. When I make a new language, all pages are copied as expected, but my item relation list entries are still referencing the items on the Master language.

Currently, I'm using Dynamicweb 8.8.1.32.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

- Jeppe

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hello Jeppe

Long time no see, hope you are doing well!

It can always be discussed if that is a bug... I assume the referenced items are on the same website, so creating a new language will also create a copy of the linked pages, but not update the reference?

BR Nicolai

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger

Hi NP,

Indeed, it's been a long time. I think I better pop out for a cup of hot chocolate soon - I hear you've got a new coffee maker :)

You're spot on. The referenced items are on the same website and they are all copied correctly into the new language. The relation list even copied and gets a new id. In the ItemListRelations table, however, I can see that the ids that the new list references are still the original/master items, not the copies.

This issue is a bit blocking for the customer as they create their structure and content pieces in the master and then create new languages for the site. We use a fair few relation lists, and this means that even if they translate the referenced content, that is not reflected when viewing the website. It is possible to work around this, but that means dereferencing the master items in all the lists and add references to the correct language version of the item. That is -- in this case at lease -- quite a long process.

Is there another workaround or fix to this, that isn't manually fixing each affected page for each language, that I can implement myself? I don't see an easy way as when the referenced item is copied, the id of the original item is no longer available. At first I thought I could use PageCopyOf, but that column is 0 for all these pages.

- Jeppe

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Jeppe

Yes, a new giant coffee machine with blue lights and all :-). See dump. You are at any time more than welcome for a hot cocoa or a cold beer.

I do not think there is an easy fix - you can probably create a crazy SQL that finds and fixes the issue. But the best solution is for us to fix it when copying a website/creating new language. I'll ask QA to create a bug for this.

PageCopyOf is set to 0 after the copy completes - so it is only used as part of the copy process.

BR Nicolai

IMG_0016.JPG
Votes for this answer: 1

Klaus Jensen

Hi Nicolai,
The error is holding the customer back on translations, and they are about 1 week from launch. Do you have an ETA on a bug-fix?

Morten Buhl Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Buhl

Hi Jeppe

Bugged as TFS-29994. And the cappucino is very recommendable :-)

/Morten

Klaus Jensen

Is there an ETA on the bugfix?

Nicolai Pedersen

Next scheduled hotfix is due Tuesday next week. This can be a little complicated so I am not sure we have a tested fix at that day, but we will do whatever we can.

BR Nicolai

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Klaus

The problem TFS#29994 "Changes done on related list item are reflected on all copies" has now been fixed in version 8.8.1.33

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Hope to see you for a cup of coffee :)

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Klaus Jensen

Hi,
The fix seems to be working when creating a complete site-copy for translation. However, after the site is translated, new related content item must still be deleted from the list, and then manually "pointed" to the item in the selected language, as the relations are not updated here. 

Klaus Jensen

Will you follow up on this issue?

Nicolai Pedersen

Yes, it has been send to QA who will look into the matter and have the bug fixed.

BR Nicolai

Klaus Jensen

Cool, thanks!

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Klaus

Could you please try this again in version 8.8.1.34

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

You must be logged in to post in the forum