Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Possible / Impossible discount types

Possible / Impossible discount types

Justin Sjouw Dynamicweb Employee
Justin Sjouw

Hi,

A customer has aked me which of the types of discounts are possbile with the default Offers & Discounts feature, and if not possible an indication if it will be doable with custom work (with the definition of doable being something like a few days of work tops,and still manageable by the sales administrator from the backend)

The first two we can do I think, the rest I'm not sure...

1. Stacked discount based on total volume of a certain assortment of products.
  2. Stacked discount based on total value of selected products.
  3. Buy volume X of product A on top of volume Y of product B to get discount value Z on product C.
  4. If product A is bought in volume X in combination of another 4 items with a total volume of Y a specific discount per item will be given on the bought products.
  5. Within product group A products have been separated into subgroups C, D and E and have differing stacked discounts.
  6. If you order volume X in pre-sales of all products in product group A, you will receive discount % Y on all products. After pre-sales you will receive discount % Z

Thanks,

Justin

Replies

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Justin,

That's not an easy answer, since it's based on a number of rules. Assuming "Stacked discount" is an "order discount", and "Volume of products" you mean "quantities":

1. This should be doable
  2. This should be doable
  3. This would have to be custom. You have a lot of logic for the current discounts to support (2 specific products with certain quantity to trigger a discount on a 3rd product)
  4. Same as before - likely custom
  5. Here you can simply create 1 discount for every subgroup
  6. This sounds like 2 discounts

But bare in mind, that these are some very complex logics you are coming up with. We've done some of these in the past for customers that were highly engaged in discounts the Marketeers came up with and it was very easy to get into road-blocks. For example, #5, but then a product would belong to more than 1 group - DW would honor the priority and/or higest/lowest setting, but then customers would be too focused in their setup and not realize some other considerations of other active discounts.

Coming back to your questions, it's impossible to get a list of all impossible discounts. You really have to be familiar with the set of rules and likely do some trial-and-errors to support your customer. Ideally they learn how the platform works and they do that themselves. I feel that an educated customer/marketeer can then develop better online strategies, instead of always asking us/you if what they come up with is possible or not (specially when they don't have the heavy investment that may come with a custom discount).

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

I'm sure you can do any logic with some custom development

Votes for this answer: 1

Justin Sjouw Dynamicweb Employee
Justin Sjouw

Hey Nuno,

Thanks for you response! I fully agree that it is not a very productive task trying to describe everything that is not possbile with the standard. 

I will admit sometimes a struggle a bit translating the possibilities of this "flat" discount structure into alle dimensions that you can cover with it (or not), so I will experiment a bit more and then try to add to this thread to share some more examples of rules.

Thanks,

Justin

You must be logged in to post in the forum