Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Is there a way to hide used SEO metatags to prevent from being visible in source code?

Is there a way to hide used SEO metatags to prevent from being visible in source code?

Marieke Berting

Hi 

1 of my customer asks if there are ways to prevent submitted in Dynamicweb metatags from showing up in source code ( visible for instance via developertools in chrome)

Reason, he don't want to let his competitors find out which metatags they are using.

Let me know if you have a solution for this.

Replies

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

Hi Marieke,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking for.

If you remove the meta elements and related template tags from your template then they are not visible to anyone (users, search engines, etc.).

I don't think you can serve one version with meta tags to search engines and another version without the meta tags to regular users. You can try, but search engines will most likely notice it and see it as an attempt at fooling them, which might have negative consequences for the site.

If you want to prevent Dynamicweb from inserting meta tags automatically you can add a data-settings attribute with "disableparsing:true" to the head element in your template:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head data-settings="disableparsing:true">
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title>Dynamicweb</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Marieke,

If you can determine the user agent you can wrap it around an if statement. I found to be a few of those around but you'd have to experiment with them http://www.creativeclr.com/blog/user-agent-parsing-libraries

Essentially you would just need to render those meta tags for robots, that should be sufficient. I haven't tried it though.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Nicolai Pedersen

I need to say that it is a waste of time. There is no way you can hide that - not without hurting yourself - better spend the time making better marketing and sales efforts :-).

NP

You must be logged in to post in the forum