Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Apply different VAT based on Customer Billing country

Apply different VAT based on Customer Billing country

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I have a situation with a solution that is integrated with NAV.

95% of the customers are from Romania and they should see the prices without VAT and in the cart we have to display the total VAT and the total order value. This part works pretty well.

We also have a few customers (5%) ordering from outside of Romania in other currencies (usually either EUR or USD) and for which we should use a 0% VAT rate when displaying the order. And this part is giving me a headache.

I have started from the definition of the user, I have set the correct Billing country and currency. Prices are now retrieved from NAV in the correct currency.

I have then defined a corresponding country in Settings/Ecommerce/Internationalization/Countries

I have defined a VAT Group and set the VAT rate for Romania to 19% and the VAT for the other country to 0% and changed the vat setting in Ecommerce/Advanced/Prices to "Use VAT group rate as system VAT".

The setting"Prices in the database include VAT" is unchecked.

But I still get the 19% VAT applied for the user from the other country.

What am I missing?

What I have noticed is that if I assign the VAT group to products, the cart is correctly calculating the prices without VAT. Is there any way I can get the same behavior for prices in the ProductList or ProductDetail?

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
  • You should not use a VAT group. That is only if products have different VAT than default country VAT. I.e. for foods in many countries.
  • All countries, except Romania, should have country VAT set to 0%
  • In advanced configuration, Prices, you should set the "Use alt. delivery country when calculating VAT" - this will use the order delivery country to calculate VAT and this is what you want
    • Then the delivery country on the user should be set on the cart/order when created

BR Nicolai

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Understood. I was expecting to have a connection between Billing country and VAT rather than Delivery country and VAT. That's why I have completely ignored that option. But I understand why it should be set like this.

In this case, should I use System VAT instead of the VAT group? Or ignore System VAT altogether?

Thank you,

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

VAT rules in EU is that the delivery country makes the decission.

But if you do not set "Use alt. delivery country when calculating VAT" then billing country will be used - billing on the order that is.

It is to avoid that I create a user in Cameroun and get it send to Denmark.

You should not use system vat at all. System VAT = 0 and prices in db without vat. And then only country VAT. Exactly like you normally would - but just changing country vat to 0 for those countries.

But be careful here - EU vat regulation since this summer is not like this. You have to collect the respective country VAT when trading B2C at very low revenue numbers in each country - B2B you have to use reverse VAT charge:

If you cannot sleep tonight: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/vat-e-commerce_en#:~:text=From%201%20July%202021%2C%20the,e%2Dcommerce%20activities%20will%20change.&text=The%20VAT%20exemption%20at%20importation,now%20be%20subject%20to%20VAT.

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Thank you very much.

I will keep that in mind and advise the customer.

Thank you,
Adrian

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Nicolai,

I am trying to set up a Rapido solution where the Deliery adress should determine the VAT. 

You write: 

"Then the delivery country on the user should be set on the cart/order when created"

I'm not sure a follow. In the checkout the customer can choose between deliveryadresses. What I want to achieve is that if the customer chooses for example an adress in Poland the VAT should be set to 0. I have created the country Poland and set the VAT to 0. I have checked the "Use alt. delivery country when calculating VAT". But I still get VAT after choosing the Polish adress. The polish adress has "Billing / Shipping Country" set to "Poland".

What could be missing?

Regards / Aki

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Can you share a URL so we can have a look?

What version of DW is this?

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Of course, I have it set up on our staging site : http://nevotex.stage.mindflower.se/ running 9.15.4.

User with a polish adress : mtd@mathinic.se / test1234

Regards / Aki

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

@Nicolai, did by any chance have had time to look at the set up above?

Regards / Aki

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Now I did - sorry about the delay!

The problem is that choosing the delivery address in the frontend, does not actually set the delivery address on the cart object.

So doing this:

The result is this:

There is no delivery country set. So when selecting the address, as a minimum you need to post back the delivery country so it gets set on the order.

If I change the address manually, the vat is applied:

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Ah, OK, of course. 

Thanks for your help Nicolai. 

Regards / Aki

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Given the above,. and this documentation: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/training/guides-videos/ecommerce/reverse-charge-for-vat#sideNavTitle1 should I read the docs as follows:

1. Reverse Charge for VAT on Country actually means "Allow Reverse Charge for VAT"

2. Reverse Charge for VAT on Web site actually means "Allow Reverse Charge for VAT"

3. Reverse Charge for VAT on User actually means "Apply Reverse Charge for VAT when web site and country allow it"

Is that a correct analysis? I.e. only when all three levels (including the user) have it set, reverse VAT is applied? So ultimately, it's the customer's checkbox that triggers the final behavior?

And if so, why is it that "Anonymous customers will not be charged VAT "?

Imar

You must be logged in to post in the forum