Developer forum

Forum » Development » Migration of a Drupal blog

Migration of a Drupal blog

Tomas Gomez

Hi,

some clients have blogs made in Drupal and Wordpress. We are studying the possibility of migrating them to DW.

Is there any available feature in DW to import the blogs? If not, what would be the best approach?

Regards,
Tomas

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Tomas

Using Rapido, you have a simple blog implentation using items. That can be used with some modifications, i.e. Comments, to drive a full blown blog.

To import blog posts, you can use the Item Provider in the integration module.

If you need any implementation help related to this, feel free to ask here or contact our service desk - they can also provide implementation ressources.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Tomas,

I have migrated in the past Wordpress sites and Drupal sites and I can tell you there is no easy way. Or at least I have not found it.

Importing Wordpress blog might seem easy because Wordpress exports all the content as XML and in theory you can apply an XSLT and use the ItemProvider for import. But Wordpress xml structure is very dependant on the plugins used. Therefore there is no straightforward approach. If you know someone that does not hate XSLT, you can probably make it work in a few hours. it's not gonna be a full import, but at least it might get you almost there.

As for Drupal, the structure is even more unpredictable than Wordpress. I suggest you try first to export your data as a csv with everything in one file, then try to use the ItemProvider. Drupal is usign a lot of tables to connect all content.

I know it would be awesome to have a default provider for import from popular sources (Drupal, Wordpress and Magento) but I think that the data structure is too different from one project to another.

Adrian

Votes for this answer: 1

Tomas Gomez

Thanks for your advises!

Yes, it looks like a stitching craftwork from the original data of the blogs (content, comments, etc) to an Item Provider destination.

+1 to have default providers from popular CMS to facilitate migrations though, as Adrian pointed, they'll be limited because the high casuistry.

You must be logged in to post in the forum