Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Is AccessUserPassword table still used?

Is AccessUserPassword table still used?

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

An old customer of ours came across this table and wondered what this was still used for. I could not find any usage for it, meaning, no setting that would validate if a new password matched any of past X passwords.

That said, could this be a deprecated feature (although new records keep getting written to it)?

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

It is still used for checking if a new password is valid according to the password reuse settings.

Settings > Control Panel > Users

Nuno Aguiar

Thanks Morten

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Morten,

I guess I'm confused, but I believe it's because of the labels "Password reuse", "After number of times" and "After number of days".

They way they are written suggest I need to change passwords every X number of days or X number of times a user logs in, but that does not happen https://app.screencast.com/yuW9RMcSISGFp.

I tried to look at DW's code, and seems like what it's doing is only about setting the rules so the new password cannot be the same as the last ones filtering by times or days. Could updating the labels be considered to something like:

• "Password reuse" --> "Cannot use the same password as"
  • "After number of times" --> "Previous Passwords"
  • "After number of days" --> "Password History (days)"

If my interpretation is accurate the labels above convey a lot more clarity. Would you agree?

Nuno Aguiar

You must be logged in to post in the forum