Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Huge amount of Diagnostic and Log files cause major delays on applicaton restart

Huge amount of Diagnostic and Log files cause major delays on applicaton restart

Harald Brouwers

Hi,

In recent times we noticed that a couple of our DW sites, hosted in Azure. Had major problems coming online after an applicaton restart. I'm talking about 40 minutes for the site to come online again.

After some digging we found what was causing this problem. The "Files/System/Diagnostics" folder contained a huge amount (50000+) files. It seems that these folders are scanned at startup, which is causing the delay.

As it turns out there is a folder with two files created for every time a taks runs (once a hour) and the same goes for every index builder.

So if we have 5 indexes * 2 (index A and B) with their companion taks. That gives us for one run task run; 10 new folders and 20 new files. This task runs hourly, so in one week we get (10*24*7)= 1680 new folders and (20*24*7)= 3360 new files. Which is a bit much in my opinion.

I know we can purge these folders with a scheduled task but most of these files I don't want in the first place.

What I would like are two options in DW:
1. The option to disable the logging of the tasks and repositories to these files entirely
2. The option to get only the log files when a build or task fails, and not from every successful build.

Greetings Harald

Replies

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

+1 Would be nice to be able to control the amount of files.

You must be logged in to post in the forum