Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Canonical and questions

Canonical and questions

Jan Sangill

Hello,

Version: Dynamicweb 9.15.3

Unsure if this is the correct category, but here goes.

I experience slightly different logic in DW regarding canonical. Here are some examples:
<link rel="canonical" href="FULL_URL/da-dk/shop/klinger/haandrundsavklinger">
Absolute canonical

?GroupID=&PageNum=2 – With Query:
<link rel="canonical" href="/da-dk/shop/klinger/handrundsavklinger">
Relative canonical

Here you can see that the upper one is with a full path, and the lower one is without a full path. Why is it we have a change from absolute to relative here?

Moreover,
Regarding the lower example, when you remove the query from the main url and insert this into canonical, I have had this sent to me by the customer.
 https://developers.google.com/search/docs/specialty/ecommerce/pagination-and-incremental-page-loading#use-urls-correctly

Here it says that this part should not be removed. The link above,

So in theory, this is what it should look like:
<link rel="canonical" href="FULL_URL/da-dk/shop/klinger/haandrundsavklinger?GroupID=&PageNum=2">

What are your thoughts on the above?

I can manipulate with this standard code from DW, and adjust myself to what the customer wants. I'm just curious - if it makes sense for DW to follow whats stated in the link above or not?

What are your thoughts here?

I hope this post was clear enough - and not jibberish:>

Regards
Jan

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Jan

You can remove the paged canonical using the settings on the product catalog app: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/documentation-9/ecommerce/apps/product-catalog#2734

You basically do not need the canonicals on the product list page - it is there because some SEO experts have required it to avoid what they believe is duplicate content. My recommendation is to not use the canonical settings and the problem will go away.

Some of the canonicals was changed to use absolute paths also do to SEO experts requirement. Apparantly that was not introduced on paged product list page canonicals. Again it makes no difference, so I would not worry about it.

Votes for this answer: 1

Jan Sangill

Hi Nicolai ,

we decided to do as you said. :>

You must be logged in to post in the forum