Developer forum

Forum » Swift » Recommended way to extend site item

Recommended way to extend site item

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi there,

In Rapido, the Area item type had a Custom field that allowed me to easily add site-specific settings to a site.

What's the alternative for that in Swift? I have a solution with 20+ sites where I need to store settings that are unique for each site. I want to make sure I make changes to item types that don't break when updating Swift in the future.

Thanks!

Imar

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Right click the item type in settings an choose "Customize" - will make a copy of the settings, and then you just go ahead.

Or just change the item type and merge when you get new versions. 

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Oh, nice. I had used the Customize option for other types like the Cart app but didn't realize I could also use it for the site item. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

Suzi Louring

How does "Customize" work?
I can't find anything about it in the documentation.

/Suzi

Suzi Louring

Anyone?

/Suzi

Nicolai Pedersen

Not sure it is documented yet.

But simply right click and choose customize - that will make a copy of the item type and replace its use.

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

Dear Nicolai,

Does this "Customize" feature also exists in DW10, because we have had a hard time find the menu item?

Best regards, Anders

Nicolai Pedersen

Yup:

From the tree:

And from the list of item types:

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

Dear Nicolai,

Thanks for quick reply. It turns out that we were trying to figure it out for a row item, which does not seem to be possible. Can you please elaborate a bit on why that is not possible?

Best regards, Anders

You must be logged in to post in the forum