Developer forum

Forum » Swift » Multi column pages

Multi column pages

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

We have faced a few situations where we had to handle pages with 2 columns (one sidebar for Navigation) and one for content, where you should be able to add multiple rows and columns (mainly for the content part but sometimes also for the sidebar).

I believe that we should have a default Swift approach for this scenario.
So far, I ended up creating a new Page template with 2 grid definitions and a preconfigured column split (3-9).
This allows defining 2 regions in the page where the admin can play around with rows and columns for every region.

If you guys have another solution to this issue, I would be happy to hear about it.

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Adrian,

I also see that need. We tend to be creative or work around it, so far successfully, but I am curious to see how that worked out for you. Would you mind sharing the page template so I can take a peek?

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nuno,

Sure. No problem.

I have attached it here.

It's basically a mix between a standard page and the 2 columns 3-9 row and an additional grid region (remember the dwcontent placeholders from way back).

I am not sure if DW intended to keep this functionality with multiple grids on the same page, but so far it seems to be working :)

Adrian

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Adrian,

I was curious how the Visual Editor would work with it, but it behaves just fine. I believe it's an OK solution for now.

You could add your Page Item type with a page property field to choose the columns width (i.e. a dropdown choosing any of the 2 column variations you'd want). But I know it's limitative, in the sense that you cannot mix and match and have 1 full row at the top and another one underneath it and whatnot (we did not in the past for Newsletters/emails before the Visual Editor).

But this would already solve for some common scenarios like in the Customer Center, where you always want the menu on the left and may have a bunch of other paragraphs on the right. Well done!

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nuno,

I am glad it works well for you. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Visual Editor behaving so well in an untested scenario.

I was unsure if the setting on the page ItemType would be loaded in time to create the grid information. That's why I have not tried the configuration.

But you can try to set up the proportion between columns in the Page ItemType. 

In my case, Customer Center was the main scenario I needed a solution for. But it would also work for any content structure that has subpages and requires a sidebar.

We will explore further, for sure. I blieve this could be a good direction for the Swift team to expand it further.

Thank you,

Adrian

Suzi Louring

+1

You must be logged in to post in the forum