Developer forum

Forum » Swift » Feature request: Solution for onboarding new frontend/webshop users

Feature request: Solution for onboarding new frontend/webshop users

Kevin Steffer
Kevin Steffer

When developing b2b webshops with integration to ERP we very often used our own custom implementation of onboarding new users.

1. Sending them a email invitation to activate their new account (only once)
  2. Login journey where they can create a password for their account
  3. Go to login

Wouldn't be an idea to develop a "sensible default" for this in Swift?

I'd be happy to share our experience on developing this so that you don't have to find our everything from scratch.

Replies

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

+1

We are also struggling with this onboarding

Adrian

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Kevin,

For the US we have what we call a "Welcome email". It actually comes in 3 flavours.

• Email Marketing page
    To be used once and sent to all known users that came from an import before the site goes live
  • Email Notification template (soon to be page) for Data Integration Jobs
    To be used with the User Provider so that for every new user that gets imported, they get sent an email that looks just like the "Welcome email" that other users got from Email Marketing
  • User Send Details template (soon to be page) from the User Card
    To be used from the Users area and trigger the same type of functionality and eventually just like the "Welcome email"

Apart from the regular custom work that went into it, we generate a link with the recovery token already, so that the user can simply click the link and set the password (as if he/she had clicked "Forgot password?" in the frontend.

It's been working really well for us and we've been using this as a "standard" for us. Would you do something different or more than this? (excluding the actual configuration/development of the email itself, text, and whatnot)

Nuno Aguiar

Kevin Steffer
Kevin Steffer

@Nuno: I'd like to have DW/Swift come with an approach on this instead of us developing a custom implementation.

We have a solution where we have a custom field on users "Has received Welcome email" and then we have a custom scheduled task that can send email to certain types of users that don't have the "Has recieved Welcome email" set yet and we then send out a standard password (the customer can choose whatever) and the new user get's an invitation email and first time they log on with the standard password we've build a OnExtranetLogon notification subscriber that forces you to change password.

All a bit clumsy if you ask me, and it could be very beneficial for us all - if Swift came with a best practice for this.

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Kevin,

Yeah, we also have to have some sort of validation to avoid users receiving them twice. At least we did so in the past. So I understand where you are coming from.

Nuno Aguiar

Kevin Steffer
Kevin Steffer

Could we have respond to this?

You must be logged in to post in the forum