Developer forum

Forum » Rapido » Improvements for DynamicArticles

Improvements for DynamicArticles

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I believe the recent improvements for DynamicArticles are looking good but we still miss some default functionality if we plan on using them for blogs.

Usually, even the simplest blog, will have a few standard ways of filtering the articles. I am thinking about, Category, Year (and sometimes month), Author.

I believe these fields can be defined as Standard fields on the Dynamic Article. What we would need though is a list of uniques values for these fields for each page that displays a list of Dynamic Articles.

Because of how the Dynamic list is displayed, rendering these fields is a bit complicated with custom development.

It would be very helpful to have them as standard functionality in Rapido.

Thank you,

Adrian  

Replies

Karsten Thuen Dynamicweb Employee
Karsten Thuen

Hi Adrian

Thank you for the suggestion. To do this, we need to use the tools Dynamicweb already gives us. If you start by reading this part of our documentation, you can see how to make targeted and unique articles + article list. I know it is not the easiest process, but it is a once pr site thing.

When you have got the hang on this process, you can look at how "FilterOne" is deffined in "ItemType_DynamicArticle.cshtml" - You can deffine the list options just as you want, or change the field type. You can add up to three filters, but their systemnames must be "FilterOne", "FilterTwo" and "FilterThree".

I hope this is a good enough solution for you.

Best regards
Karsten Thuen

Karsten Thuen

Oh, and here is the link to the doc: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/rapido/configuration/creating-content/dynamic-articles#sideNavTitle1-2 

Sorry, i missed it ;)

Adrian Ursu

Hi Karsten,

Thank you for the responses.

I don't think that the filters are the response to my request. I have been looking into them and the reason I have opened this thread is that the filters you have mentioned have a finite list of options that have to be predefined by editing an ItemType. While the filters I have mentioned in my first post should be Dynamic.

And I see no reason to grant access to ItemTypes to a Content manager who's only job is to create content.

It is only reasonable for a customer to ask for a functionality that is found in most blogs. The filters I am talking about should work more like the facets than a predefined list of options.

The current filters are very good if you have a predefined list of options and they will not change as content is created. What I am asking for is a list of filters that would always have values based on the values defined for some of the standard fields of a Dynamic Article. That's why I have mentioned Category, Author or Year. 

Does it make sense?

Thank you,

Adrian

Karsten Thuen

Hi Adrian

Thank you for the clarification. But I am sorry, I do not currently have a good solution for that, with the current set up. 

Best regards
Karsten Thuen

Adrian Ursu

Hi Karsten,

I was hoping more for a long term solution than an immediate one.

For now, I will use Query Publisher instead of Dynamic Articles.

Thank you,

Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum