Developer forum

Forum » PIM » Validation Patterns on Product Category Fields

Validation Patterns on Product Category Fields

Barend Mosch

Hi!

I've been experimenting with the possibilties of adding validation to either text and integer fields. While surfing the forum and after testing a bit myself, Ive noticed that validation patterns are not working correctly. It seems that the validation patterns have no affect on integer fields. Even a simple regex that accepts positive numbers: 

• ^\d+$

does not work.

Validation on text fields does not work either. A simple regex that only allows empty strings OR strings with 6 or more characters: 

• ^.{0,}$|^.{6,}$

still accepts a string with less than 6 characters (see attachment)

Is there something Im missing?

Kind regards,

Barend Mosch

Screenshot_2024-02-22_160525.png

Replies

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Your regex is flawed as it shouldn't have ^ or $ in the middle. Try them out here: https://regex101.com/

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars
This post has been marked as an answer

Try this: ^(\S{6,})?$

That allows 6 or more characters, and makes the whole thing optional with the ?

Imar

Votes for this answer: 1

Barend Mosch

Hi!

Yes, this seems to work, many thanks!

I found that 

• ^$|^.{6,}$

Also does the trick, but this includes whitespace characters as wel, which might not be wanted.

How about integer and decimal defined fields. I tried a simple "Only accept number 1" scenario with ^1$
Is there a solution for this?

Kind regards,

Barend Mosch

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Barend

If you look at how patterns are handled on MDN: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Attributes/pattern

So to only allow the input '1' you regex should just be '1' resulting in this markup:

<input name="fieldname" type="text" pattern="1" required />

Barend Mosch

Hi Nicolai,

Apologies for the late reaction

The validation issue on Integer and Decimal field remains active I'm afraid. Using the same setup (only allow 1), it works for text fields, but not on integer/decimal fields. 

Where:

• test decimal: Decimal field
  • test integer: Integer field
  • test text: Text(50) field

Regex used:

Regex tried:

• [1]
  • ^1$
  • ^[1]$
  • '1'

None worked, is there some 'number' specific rule I'm missing regarding validation patterns?

Cheers in advance & kind regards,
Barend Mosch, Bluedesk

Oleg Rodionov Dynamicweb Employee
Oleg Rodionov

Hi,

As you see the validation options are hidden for the field types in definition of product custom fields now (forum). The same feature should be implemented in category fields, probably. So, it is under discussion now, a final result will be provided here later. Sorry for enconviniece.

BR, Oleg QA 

Oleg Rodionov Dynamicweb Employee
Oleg Rodionov

Hi,

New task #19092 task has finally been created against the issue. Thanks for finding.

BR, Oleg QA

Barend Mosch

Hi Oleg!

Thanks for replying. Good to know its on the radar.

Kind regards,

Barend Mosch, Bluedesk

You must be logged in to post in the forum