Developer forum

Forum » Integration » Webserver must be able to resolve its own name from DNS

Webserver must be able to resolve its own name from DNS

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I have a solution where I don't control the infrastructure and DNS.

recently, the customer decided to change the domain of the solution and I have started to get into trouble with the scheduled tasks.

I have found something in the documentation but I am not sure hot to explain it to the DNS responsible:

Additionally, your webserver must be able to resolve its own name from DNS; after calling jobrunner.aspx a new thread is created to another .aspx, where the job is actually executed. So if you have http://website.com, the IIS-server should be able to resolve website.com, as it will be calling ‘http://website.com/JobRunnerBackground.aspx?’.

Can somebody explain what I have to ask the customer to setup in the DNS?

Thank you,
Adrian

Replies

Scott Forsyth Dynamicweb Employee
Scott Forsyth
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Adrian,

Some companies have a separate internal DNS server that doesn't have the same records as their public DNS zone. Or, their network firewall or NAT configuration doesn't have a route that works for the public IP address. 

You can test from the command line with a 'ping {domain name}'. Try that from your local machine, and have your customer test that from the web server. If it doesn't resolve to the same IP, then your customer will need to update their local DNS server. (assuming that it's the DNS issue and not the network issue)

There are 2 options for the local DNS server:

1. They can add an entry on their local DNS server for the domain name. They should probably set both the www and non-www domains to point to the web server's IP
  2. It is also possible to add an entry to the hosts file (c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts). If that's on the local machine, they can set the IP simply to 127.0.0.1. That will essentially route the traffic on the local server back to itself when trying to visit that domain name

Scott

Votes for this answer: 1

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Scott,

Sorry for this late reply.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

It makes a lot of sense and now I understand how to set it up.

Thank you,
Adrian

Scott Forsyth Dynamicweb Employee
Scott Forsyth

Hi Adrian,

Good deal. You're welcome and thanks for the update.

Scott

You must be logged in to post in the forum