Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » NULL/empty dates

NULL/empty dates

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

I feel I posted this before, but I can't find any record, so excuse me if this is duplicate. With both ViewModels and Tags, it would be great if DW could interpret "null"/empty dates.

Working with integrated data we run into some odd scenarios regarding dates and datetimes. This means that sometimes a Date is missing, but a database DateTime field is not nullable. That means that when we're doing something like GetDate("Ecom:OrderDate") we'll get back a "perceived" valid date, for example "01/01/1900"

We can wrap this around if statements in templates, but there are a lot of scenarios to consider:

• A "NULL" DateTime usully returns "01/01/1900"
  • Let's assume it's a User custom field called "Last sync date", and we go to the backend and hit save and close - the UI component may prepopulate the date field with "01/01/1970"
  • I have seen some code examples where we're also looking for "01/01/0001" (not sure if it was an actual scenario OR if it still happens)
  • Some UI components setting a date to "Never" could also be "31/12/2999"

It would be easier for handling the templates if the developer could use a GetDate method more reliably, without having to remember and consider all of the scenarios of what "null" date can adopt.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

You must be logged in to post in the forum