Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Global elements - fix or kill :)

Global elements - fix or kill :)

Claus Kølbæk
Claus Kølbæk

Hey

We have a few customers who are very happy about the Global Element feature, however it seems that with every update to Dynamicweb, the feature gets more and more buggy.

Just a few cases:

I have a current case where a simple global element refrence to a simple paragraph item with a module stops the rest of the paragraphs on the page from rendering.

It is not possible to copy a global element reference to an item, if the page does not allow for creation of standard paragraphs (I know that I can easily go around this, but the list of stuff you can create on a page can just get soooo terrible long).

If an item has a list attached, the global element will not render the content of these paragraphs.

Now for new customers I just tell them that they should stay away from the button cause it never works, and their first reply then ofcause is - then why is it there? And well I don't actually know why it is still there if it is not something that is fully supported? But for customers who have been with DW for many years, it is a bit of an annoyance that whenever their solution gets upgraded, there is something new this feature does not support.

So my feature request is that either it gets a huge update and fix - or it gets completely removed (or gets hitten as far away as Page Item Lists - no one can ever find those wink ) .

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Claus

Personally I am not a fan of the feature, but it is used a lot and of course it should work!

If it has bugs, do not feel shy about reporting them. We will go fix!

I've send your input to QA that will look into your findings and bug them as needed.

Thank you for the input!

BR Nicolai

Claus Kølbæk
Claus Kølbæk

Hi Nicolai

Well I completely agree with you that it's use should be awoided at all cost, hence why just killing it off is also an option in my mind :)

I did actually write some mails to QA and the response was that globale elements only fully supports none item related things, and that if I wanted it to support more, I should make a feature request... So here we are! :)

Nicolai Pedersen

Lol. Sorry about that!

Well - global paragraphs has the same value as FB and YT - everyone uses them, and it provides no value at all :-).

Will still look into your feature requests then!

BR Nicolai

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Claus

We have been looking into this a bit more. And we cannot fix all of your findings - some of the item related things because we run into some bad things that can happen with circular references etc. But we will do what is possible for us to impement.

BR Nicolai

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Claus

We have now tested some of your scenarios from above and cannot reproduce:

• Using item based paragraphs as global elements where the item has a subitem type in a list (Using ParagraphContainer and Paragraph from Rapido
  • "I have a current case where a simple global element reference to a simple paragraph item with a module stops the rest of the paragraphs on the page from rendering."

• "If an item has a list attached, the global element will not render the content of these paragraphs."

So, if you can give us some more precise pointers, i.e. a video, or a link with steps to reproduce, we will be happy to look further into this.

Thanks, Nicolai