Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Direct Path - couldn't we get it in front of the execution pipeline?

Direct Path - couldn't we get it in front of the execution pipeline?

Kevin Steffer
Kevin Steffer

We and customers often get confused by not being able to do Direct Paths for existing URLS in the CMS.

And I have investigated it a long time ago and found out that the Direct Path module is written within the 404 handler.

Couldn't that logic be moved so that the Direct Path module comes first and you then have the opprtunity to have 100% - when you create a Direct Path, that will always rule over anything within the CMS system?

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Kevin

That would be a major change to the feature and it has to be completely moved. And I think it is 'dangerous' to do.

And what would be the purpose? The page which URL is being overriden will no longer be available - so why not just delete it or rename it? Not sure I understand why this is even a feature and not a bug... Could you ellaborate?

On a page you can create a shortcut to send that page URL to another location. That could be used as a workaround.

BR Nicolai

Kevin Steffer
Kevin Steffer

Yes, it's maybe a huge change but it's a powerful one :)

See the Direct Path is today a module with limited capabilities.

a) You can't really use it for "SEO 301 redirect projects" where you can map out a you old URLs index by google to a new re-structured site

- The module is not acceting any matching URL patterns

- The module can't really be used for domains that Dynamicweb doesn't have websites for say you have a website www.co3.dk and you wan't to redirect any URL comming in on m.co3.dk to www.co3.dk/mobile

b) Today we use the IIS rewrite module for our "SEO 301 redirect projects" for the exact reason that it is in front of the Dynamicweb execution pipeline but it is manual work to add them to the server and for some customers we have even developed Redirect modules that can read URL redirects from spreadsheets.

A new Direct Path module or let's say a new Redirect Module (with some new features) that sits in front of the execution pipeline could benefit us in these ways:

1. Being less dependant on DevOps that can access the server and setup up rules and rewrite maps 
  2. Being able to import entire rewrite maps into the database table
  3. Being able to support redirect rules per domain instead of per Dynamicweb website
  4. Being able to support any URL patterns with regexthat the system doesn't even 
  5. When editors delete Items (page based), pages, products etc., Dynamicweb CMS could ask if you want a redirect added to point to a new page

Let me hear you thoughts.

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Kevin

Yes, would be nice with a RMS - Redirect Management System :-)- Maybe a business idea.

We are currently looking at our new execution pipeline for DW10 and that includes handling 404 and hence redirects along with sitemap.xml. So all of that is being re-considered.

One option would be to utilize the built in asp.net features for url rewriting and extend or rewrite the UI to be a tool for orchestrating that engine.

We understand how important this is. We have spend more times developing and supporting URL systems and redirects than CMS features in the past years :-)

BR Nicolai

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I understand the challenges of this feature request but I find it a pretty useful addition. Either as a new system or as a change to the existing one. It's worth keeping it on the radar for DW10.

+1

Adrian