Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Assortments by website

Assortments by website

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

Would it make sense to have a way to assign an assortment to a website? Just like you select the Shop on the website settings. Or define the Website in the Assortment definition?

The main reason behind the request is that we don't have a way to differentiate Anonymous users by a website.

Thank you,
Adrian

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Adrian

Can you describe what you are trying to achieve (instead of how you want to solve it) - there might be other ways of doing it...

BR Nicolai

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

My customer wants to display a separate range of products by website. Sometimes, it's easy to solve it by having a totally separate Group structure. But sometimes it might need to be more granular, especially when you have 2 websites with combined B2B/B2C behavior and segmented product range (meaning you have to use assortments anyway).

We have solved it in the past by using separate Ecom groups or by having a product property on the product. But it seems harder to maintain.

We can probably still manage it the same way but it might be less controllable without assortments. 

If you don't see any value in this approach, I won't insist as I imagine somebody else having a similar situation might have suggested it already by now.

If you need a more detailed use case, I can provide it.

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

I have a new situation of this kind.

I have a solution running 9.8.5.

2 websites with 2 shops, some of the products are used in both shops but each of them has its own particular set of products.

Both shops have B2B and B2C scenarios, supporting anonimous users.

I need to separate the B2C assortment from the B2B assortment for each website/shop

I would rather use the assortments functionality than the query filtering.

Is this possible?

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Any suggestion?

Thank you,
Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

Why can you not use assortments as is? 2 assortments - b2b and b2c. They will contain products from both shops.

When I go to website 1 using shop 1 and is anonymous I get the b2c assortment. Your query will contain context.shop and assortment giving you only products for that shop and that assortment. If I go to website 2 using shop 2 and logs in using a b2b user, I see only products in shop 2 and in the b2b assortment.

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

To be honest I have not considered using the same assortment for B2C for both. But now that I think of it, I see a potential problem because the 2 websites/shops have the same catalog. If one of them decides to exclude one product from the B2C assortment and allow it just for B2B, the product will be shown anyways since it will be included in the assortment for B2C that will apply for both.

I am not sure if that's the case, for now, I will have to check with my customer.

If I understand correctly, this is the only option I have right now and probably for the nearby future.

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

One more thing that I can find useful for assortments: Ability to use a ProductQuery when assigning products.

Right now products can only be added one by one or you can add just standard groups.

Thank you,
Adrian