Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Ability to assign Field Display Groups to ProductCategories

Ability to assign Field Display Groups to ProductCategories

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I have a project that poses a bit of a challenge in how we need to setup fields.

Below is an example of what we are trying to accomplish:

I have wrapped my head around how to accomplish this setup but I could not find any options with what we have.

The selection above applies to "Laptops" category. Which is the same thing with our ProductCategories.

The missing feature is the grouping of the attributes in "Attribute groups".

All fields above would be assigned to the Laptop ProductCategory but we have no way of grouping them.

The closest thing to this would be Field DisplayGroups but in that case, I can only assign the FieldDisplayGroup to a Shop.

It would be very useful to have an additional possibility to assign a FieldDisplayGroup to a ProductCategory. Or create groups of attributes within a ProductCategory.

Actually, any solution that would support the scenario above would be very useful.

If there are any suggestions about current ways of accomplishing this, I am opened.

Thank you,

Adrian 

Replies

Søren Jensen Dynamicweb Employee
Søren Jensen
Hi,

With that type of products, as I will call "Technical complex", I would think of making a "Double structure" of the Data Model..

You may have a "Product structure" like this, there will be the "Primary location":

- Products
  - Computer
    - Laptop
    - Stationary
  - Tablet

Then you have a "Additional structure" with component details like this:

- Components
- Display
- CPU
- Connection
- Battery

You will then assign the Product (eg. in Laptop) to these ComponentGroups there are needed. This is done with "Add  to group"

By doing this, you can make individual Data Model per Component (CategoryGroups), and then you have the segmentation you want .. both in Backend and Frontend

I hope this helps you ..

/Søren

Adrian Ursu

Hi Soren,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I know that this is how you have configured it in the standard Rapido. And this would work fine for small numbers.

In my situation, I have a lot of challenges with the complexity.

I have > 5k attributes (ProductCategoryFields), 700 Attribute sets (ProductCategories) and another 200 Attribute Groups (which would become also ProductCategories).

Assigning and importing values in this structure would be pretty complex. Don't you think?

Assuming that I would try this approach, the user who would document the products in the "Product Structure" will have to remember which fields (or ProductCategories) would this product (or product group) support and choose the fields (or FieldDisplayGroups) from the Visible Fields dialog.

In a situation like this, it would be good to have a setting on the group forcing the display of all product category fields available for the product. Pretty much like how the Ecommerce interface would behave. I may be wrong about this, but as far as I remember, the PIM interface would display by default a set of standard fields. The Admin user would then need to select any additional information needed on the interface.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Soren,

2 more things that came to my mind after thinking about it:

1. is it possible to set a default "FieldDisplayGroup" that would display on a PIM Group? Overridable by user selection in the Visible fields but nevertheless displayed by default if nothing is selected

2. Is it possible to use a Notification (and some custom logic) to automatically assign a newly created product to the correct "Addition structure" groups?

In theory, these 2 points and your suggestion might actually solve my issues.

Thank you,

Adrian

Søren Jensen

Hi Adrian,

The workflow I would use for enrichment, will include "Auto-assign products to groups with rules". 
With that, products in the "Product structure" can automatically be assign to the needed "Component group", based on Attributes ..

Example could be, that Products with "Laptop attributes", will always be assigned to "Component/Display, Component/CPU, Component/Battery, etc..) .. 

Which Attributes you display on Products for enrichment, can be controled by Queries .. 
You may have people, there are responsable for enrich "Technical details", they use a Query to show their products in the que (with defined Attributes and completeness) .. and maybee in a Structure by using "Structured query" ..
Other people need to enrich Marketing/Soft texts, they have another Query, defined with their Attributes, Completeness rules, etc.

/Søren

Adrian Ursu

Hi Soren,

I have analyzed your suggested solution and parts of it will work very well. Thank you very much for it.

The thing that troubles me is the editing part and more specifically what the editor sees when trying to document a product.

If I follow your suggestion to configure the display fields by Query, I should add ~60k product fields to that definition hoping that the user will only see the ones he is supposed to see based on the ProductCategories assigned to the product. I am not sure if this scenario will work.

Asking the user to select the fields is not gonna work either because the dialog for selecting fields will break (again, because of the number of elements). My only hope would be to somehow always display the ProductCategories that the Product is entitled to without any user interaction. Pretty much like how they are displayed in the Ecommerce section.

Is there any way I can accomplish this by some configuration?

Thank you,
Adrian

Søren Jensen

Hi Adrian,

I have created a "Feature request" on above wishes (#3902).

The wanted functionality, with grouping of fields, can be done in Frontend/Channelfeeds, with use of "Reference fields", linked to a "CategoryGroup" called eg. "Laptop". 

All "Reference fields" would then need to be created in the needed groups, like "Processor", "Display", "IO connector", etc.

In Frontend/Channelfeeds, you can then on CategoryFields call the "Reference link" to get the "Reference Group name", and make the Grouping/Sorting by that ..(you need to make your own code for that)

But the organization of fields in Backend, still have to be done by assigning Products to Groups, there are related to individuel Categories

/Søren

Adrian Ursu

Hi Soren,

Thank you very much.

I really appreciate it.

Adrian