Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests »  Making it easy to update solutions hosted on any server

Making it easy to update solutions hosted on any server

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

Don´t know if this is already possible, but I don´t think it is possible as is. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

But here goes,

It would be nice if it was possible to update solutions hosted at any given hosting provider, just as it is in solutions hosted at HostNordic. What I mean, is - it would be nice to update any solution from backend without having to go to the doc portal - find a release - and download the application folder, and uploading it to the server etc. etc.

Or in other words - making it as easy to update Dynamicweb from backend, as it is in eg Any WP solution.

/Hans

Replies

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Hans,

Just to clarify: Update 1 solution or bulk update X solutions at the same time?

Update 1 solution can be done by using the package updater in backend -> Settings/Packages/Updates. This is how our QA tests our packages internally, and gives a much greater control over how much risk you are willing to take on any given update: If you fx. only really need to update Dynamicweb.Security, you can choose to only update this, and wait with the rest packages for a later time.

Hope my answer is of use.

BR

Martin

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi Martin

thanx for your reply. Just 1 at a time.

But what if you want to update one solution from lets say version 9.5.1 to 9.5.2

Is this possible without having to download version 9.5.2 and uploading it to the server etc.?

/Hans

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Hans,

Our release is split into multiple packages. Arround 250 packages at the moment of writing (and that's a bit too many for our own liking, so it will be reduced in the future).

This means, that you can do partial updates of your installation - much in the same way that you can choose to install security-fixes on a windows machine, without having to do their big service-release updates.

If you use our packages manager to update a package, out application will download the package, all dependencies and restart the iis (because new dlls where put into the bin folder). Once you log back in, you'll have a "new version" of dynamicweb. If you do decide to install a 9.5.3 directly from our package manager, it should update everything that is needed for you.

You dont have to personally download anything, but the files are of course downloaded by the Dynamicweb backend. You just need to push a button and wait.

I suggest you test it out on a non-production environment to get a feeling for how this works. It's not completely impossible to break things (although I know of zero open bugs for this feature!)

Hope this helps you get back on track with productivity.

BR

Martin