Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Primary group for Canonical Tags

Primary group for Canonical Tags

Mads Knudsen

Hi,

We are running a 9.10.8 Rapido solution

The Ecom structure for this website allows the same product to exist in multiple ecom-groups. Therefore we need to apply Canonical tags to set a primary and secondary product page. We have been looking at this documentation https://doc.dynamicweb.com/documentation-9/how-tos/general/canonical-urls-for-products

Step1:

• The product must be located in at least 2 groups, one of which is marked as the primary group (Figure 1.1).

The solution is running with Dynamicweb PIM, and from PIM-groups the same product will be published to several Ecom-groups. But… When a product is attached to a PIM-group (which is almost mandatory) it will per default have the PIM-group as the primary group. Therefore, we cannot apply the Canonical setup as it require the product has an Ecom-group as primary group.

So, how are we able to use Canonical on products published from PIM: 

- Can canonicals only be applied when using Ecom-groups as the primary group? or can we use PIM-groups as the primary group for canonicals? If not, is there a way to automate the process for assigning products to primary ecom-groups? 

- What is the consequense if we need to change the primary groups for all PIM-products, so the primary group is an ecom-group? Will any PIM-functionality/code be affected? 

Replies

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Mads,

On any product in PIM, you can simply click on "Publish to channels", and you'll see the Ecom groups and you'll have the option to set one of them to be the Primary.

The term "Publish" suggests that you'll immediatly publish something, but that's not entirelly accurate, so it can be confusing.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Mads Knudsen

Hi Nuno, 

Thanks for the response - I know that we can set the primary group manually, but in this case we have ~ 20.000 products to publish. So we are looking for some automated way of setting a primary group to an Ecom-group. And if we are using "Auto-assign product rules" how can we then automatically update the primary group? 

And to bring back my second question: 

What is the consequense if we need to change the primary groups for all PIM-products, so the primary group is an ecom-group? Will any PIM-functionality/code be affected?

Thanks in advance :) 

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Mads,

I don't know of any way (other than some SQL scripts) to assign the Primary Group to be an Ecommerce Shop group.

As far as I know, the "Primary Group" feature does not have any particular functionality on PIM. At least from my implementations we only ever used it for Ecom purposes and never needed it for Warehouses nor Channels (although a case can be made that there should be a primary per Shop, Warehouse and Channel).

Maybe someone from Dynamicweb can chime in as well.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

You must be logged in to post in the forum