Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Do product fields have a maximum amount to display

Do product fields have a maximum amount to display

Scott Forsyth Dynamicweb Employee
Scott Forsyth

Hello,

Somewhere between 9.8.11 and 9.9.7, it appears that there is a maximum number of options shown for a product field of type DropDownList (in the backend).

We're in the process of upgrading from 9.8.11 and, after upgrading our development environment, we noticed that it doesn't show all of the choices for a custom product field. In the upgraded site, there are only 100 results showing. But, in the non-upgraded site, there are many more than that. We confirmed that more than 100 were shown in the development site before the upgrade.

Was a maxiumum limit introduced at some point? This site has has come to relay on more than 100 options, so is there a workaround for that?

Thanks,

Scott

Replies

Oleg Rodionov Dynamicweb Employee
Oleg Rodionov

Hello,

We have 'Options list view' (featured by TFS 84982) in product field type of list on DW 9.9.7 and up (pls, find the attachment). Option quntity is now limited by 100 items in field edit form (old option list). But the new list should show entiry all option list. Now we have issue  - the both lists can show only 100 items after resaving of the field, it's already bugged by TFS 90647. So, do not resave field with many option after upgrading until fixing if you want not to lose other option items. 

BR, Oleg QA   

2021-02-08_14-05-45.png

Oleg Rodionov
This post has been marked as an answer

Hello,

And extra note that option quantity more than 100 items can now be added via 'Options List View-Add multiple options'. Saving should now not be performed in 'Edit product field' form after adding until fixed.

BR, Oleg QA 

2021-02-08_14-46-26.png 2021-02-08_14-52-11.png
Votes for this answer: 1

Scott Forsyth

Hi Oleg,

Thanks, that confirms it and gives helpful info. Good to know about the multiple options adder too.

We'll wait for the hotfix and be careful to not save the form in the meantime.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Hi Oleg,

I wanted to check in on this. Will that be added to the 9.9.x branch? I don't see that this made it to the 9.9.8 branch yet.

Thanks,

Scott

Steffen Kruse Hansen Dynamicweb Employee
Steffen Kruse Hansen

Hi Scott,

I don't mind merging the changes to the 9.9.x branch, but I don't think, for now, that we have more hotfixes planned for that branch, so I have a hard time promising when or if it will be released.

Of cause, this can change, if a lot more bugs are reported on that branch. 

Is it not possible for you to upgrade to 9.10?  

Best regards,

Steffen

Scott Forsyth

Hi Steffen,

This is a high volume site so I was hoping for more burn-in on 9.10 before upgrading, but we'll give it a try.  

So, no action needed from you for now on 9.9.x.

Scott

Scott Forsyth

It turns out that this is still a problem. We were able to upgrade to 9.10.4 and test this. Unfortunately, there are still two ways where we can get it to drop all of the records after 50.

Here's how to do it:

Method 1:

• Go to a custom product field that has a large number of choices, but no more than 50
  • On the main Edit product field page, if you have 50 or less options, you'll get the option to Click here to add new option...
  • Now, as long as you don't refresh that page, you can add as many new options as you want, bringing you over 50. For example, if you started with 49, you can click the button and add 3 or 4 more so that you're well over 50.
  • Click Save or Save and Close
  • The data will be truncated back to 50

Method 2

• If you have 51 or more choices, you won't receive the option for Click here to add new option....
  • Instead, click the Options List View button (you can also test if you start with less than 50)
  • In there, add enough new options to bring you over 50
  • Close that inside Options List View page
  • On the main Edit product field page, use that Save or Save and Close button
  • The data will be trucated back to 50

It's also possible to use the Options List View method to get you over 50, step away from the site, come back later, and as soon as you Save or Save and Close on the Edit product field page, it will truncate to 50. 

Basically, any time you click Save or Save and Close on the Edit product field page, it will truncate to 50.

You can address this however you see fit, but I can offer a couple suggestions. One is to fully get rid of the old options list on the Edit product field page. Then you don't have to worry about any of that. Just give a link to the new Options List View page. I believe that may be clean enough.

Otherwise you'll need to ensure that saving that form doesn't truncate to 50.

I was just going to submit this post and realized that there is one more missing piece. The new Options List View page doesn't have a sort option. Unfortunately that is an important feature that is still needed on that form. So that's one more consideration with this.

Thanks!

Scott

Morten Buhl Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Buhl

Hi Scott

Sorry the fix didn't completely solve things. We have reopened the bug and will give it another shot taking your suggestions into consideration

/Morten Buhl, DW

Scott Forsyth

Hi Morten,

Thanks for looking into this!

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Hi Morten,

We've tested this in 9.10.7 and it works well now. Everything checks out. Thanks for arranging that.

However, there is one feature missing now. It's no longer possible to sort the options with the Options List View. Would it be possible to have a sort added back to that section? Our customer is unable to sort the options anymore.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Bump.

The 100 limit issue seems to be working well. However, it's no longer possible to sort the options if there are more than 100. Our customer is checking in weekly and looking for a fix for that since they add new options nearly weekly.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Sorry to be a pain to check in on this again. Any update on this? It's quite impactful for our customer. They make changes often to that field (thus the greater than 100 options), and the sorting is important to them.

Thanks!

Scott

Morten Buhl Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Buhl

Hi Scott

We've added sorting to the option list view screen on #2263. It will be released with 9.10.10 around June 1st. If you want a beta build just shoot me a mail

/Morten Buhl, DW

Scott Forsyth

Hi Morten,

Amazing. Thanks! I believe that the June 1st is good timing, but if we need it sooner I'll reach out.

Thanks,

Scott

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Scott

The Dynamicweb 9.10.10 has been released. This includes feature #2263

Download from https://doc.dynamicweb.com/downloads/releases

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Scott Forsyth

Hi Kristian,

Thanks! I'm downloading and upgrading it now.

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Hello (not sure if it's Kristian or Morten),

Oh, so close. Unfortunately, our customer was able to find an issue. But hopefully the last issue is an easy one. 

I believe it has to do with the last 2 items in the list (maybe an off-by-one issue). Below is what he provided:

This image is what it looks like at the beginning:

Then, he moved Wester Rady above Tissue Culture Supernatant.

However, after saving, Totalseq-D and Ultra-LEAF have swapped positions, despite him not moving them.

Oleg Rodionov

Hi Scott,

Thanks for feedback, but the case actually was tested with the feature. Besides, I've tried to reproduce the issue on my test environment again and was not able to catch it - proof.  The options were added to new created list field twice - first adding is 99 items and second adding is several more items to have main list disabled. We need more specifications of your case. Perhaps, the option list is under some encoding not used on my solution etc.

BR, Oleg QA  

Scott Forsyth

Hi Oleg,

I finally narrowed it down to what I believe is the variable causing it to occur. I don't have any guesses how it would impact sorting though. Here is a video that shows the repro and what I'm seeing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3y85a4k0wqjyjz/BL6-10-21-Sorting.MP4?dl=0

Thanks,

Scott

Oleg Rodionov

Hi Scott,

Thanks for specifying.  And could you please export the option list to CSV or Excel file (e.g. via DataIntegration) and provide it to me (here or via mail) or share URL to the solution to have more exact final check. 

BR, Oleg QA 

Scott Forsyth

Hi Oleg,

Sure thing. I've attached the data. Take note of the 3 tabs.

Thanks,

Scott

Oleg Rodionov

Hi Scott,

I've checked the feature using your data and saw some issue in fact, new bug 3076 has been submitted. I hope it will be researched and fixed soon. Thanks.

BR, Oleg QA

Scott Forsyth

Thanks Oleg. That sounds promising.

Alexey Tanchenko Dynamicweb Employee
Alexey Tanchenko

Hi Scott,

I researched the issue and the data you gave us. I can guess that you changed the default ID prefix for the Field Options (EcomNumbers database table) to "BLFDFO_". The system do not expect that the ID could have the "_" character. We recommend to get rid of that to avoid such problems. Using only [A-Za-z0-9] characters is the best practice :-)

BR, Alexey.

Scott Forsyth

Hi Alexey,

Nice find! Now I'm faced with a challenge. I looked into this and we have code from 2018 that has a lot of logic attached to these custom field options. I would be pretty worried to have to update that and ensure that I don't break something else.

Since this sorting part of the new functionality in the platform, would it be possible to make an update to handle the _ in the FieldOptionId? That would certainly reduce our risk.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott Forsyth

Bump. This feature is getting SO close to being able to be used. Can the ID support at least an _ please? We have years' old code and technical debt that requires that.

Thanks,

Scott

Oleg Rodionov

Hi, 

3076 has been fixed and will be provided in upcoming release (admin package).

BR, Oleg QA

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Scott

The #3076 are included in release 9.10.12

https://doc.dynamicweb.com/downloads/releases

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Scott Forsyth

Thanks Oleg and Kristian. I've installed it and tested and it looks good to me. I'll hand it off to the customer to also test.

Thanks!

You must be logged in to post in the forum