Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Constant logging out of admin portal

Constant logging out of admin portal

Jon Thorne
Jon Thorne
I would like to know what causes a logout of the user from the backend of the admin portal. It seems perhaps to be related to the import/export tasks (OData to/from BC). As since we have added a few more of these tasks running it is happening lots more. Now getting logged out every few minutes.

Is there any settings I can check to stop this happening?

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

You will get logged out if either your session is reset or if IIS will recycle the app pool.

There could be something in the integration job that clears cache - and one could be clearing all sessions. We should not have that as standard.

When you run the integration job you could have a high memory and/or CPU consumption - and depending on how your IIS is setup, IIS you be recycling because it tries to recover from high memory and cpu usages.

So first figure out if you have a recycle - you can see that in the Dynamicweb Monitoring if Dynamicweb is restarting - or in the server event viewer. 

If you have the recycle, you need to take a look at the settings for the app pool.

BR Nicolai

Jon Thorne
Jon Thorne

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for the helpful comments. It does not seem the IIS app pool is recycling. I cannot find any evidence for this in the log and also when it does it can take quite a while, but when logged out I can just log stright back in quickly.

But saying that is certainly does seem to be load based. During the day under heavy load it was logging out every 5 mins (or less). But in the evening with much less load it has not logged out for 3 hours yet. With all the same integration tasks and orders still being placed (around 25 orders with live integration in the last 3 hours).

I have checked the app pool settings, there is no reset on cpu limit. I had already increased the idle timeout. There is no limits or regular time interval reset. All recycle events are logged.

So if it not an IIS recycle, and it is only an issue on high load, then it seems it is not a clear cache issue as this would happen under low load as well.

I'm still at a loss to know where to look, but regardless of the high load I really need it to stay logged in even if slow.

Regards,

Jon.

Jon Thorne
Jon Thorne

Hi Nicolai,

While I don't think there has been any IIS restart events, there are lots of DW "Application/Start" events like this:

There are many different URLs associated with these events. Are they related to the restart? Or just the url that was first called on restart?

Is there any way to tell what is causing these?

Jon.

Nicolai Pedersen

The URLs are not related to the restart - it just happens to be the first URL starting the website after it has closed.

These starts indicates that the app pool recycles - that should be the only reason. Question is why - my guess is memory consumption is higher than what is available. I think it is a setting on the app pool. It can also be code that will somehow load a lot of data into memory - i.e. a feed or list of products with 1000 or 10.000 of products? Or something similar.

BR Nicolai

Jon Thorne
Jon Thorne

Hi Nicolai,

I can't understand how these can be IIS app pool recycles as there is no log of this in the windows event viewer. And when I do an app pool recycle at a high usage time it can take a few minutes to restart. These logouts (Application/Start) events are quick and I can log straight back in. Also, this solution only has 126 products. Around 8000 users. No feeds.

Regards, Jon.

Jon Thorne
Jon Thorne

I have managed to find the solution for this issue myself after many months of trying to get help from others. If you do a lot of DW customisations you will probably run into this one. Seems there are not many people that know about the IIS config in enough detail to help with this. Please let me know if you are having a similar issue and I can help point you in the right direction.

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Jon,

I am interested to find out about your solution.

Should we chat here or outside of the community?

Thank you,

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

We would like the information so it can be documented.

Thanks, Nicolai

You must be logged in to post in the forum