Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » Assortment based navigation not working properly after upgrade to 9.6.12

Assortment based navigation not working properly after upgrade to 9.6.12

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded a solution from 9.5.3 to 9.6.12.

One of the issues we have after upgrade is the behavior of the Navigation.

Nothing changed in how products are defined or how the assortments are defined and still, for some reason, some categories are not displayed in the menu anymore.

I have rebuilt the assortment and rerun the index a few times already without any luck.

What else should I do?

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

9.6.7 got a re-written assortment navigation handling. So that is probably the reason. What it does now is not showing groups in the navigation that does not have any products in the current users assortments.

Can you maybe provide some details? User X is in assortment 1 and I cannot see group XYZ? Or maybe a link and some screenshots.

Thanks, Nicolai

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

The funny thing is that some categories show up and some are not. And I have checked the products and they show up correctly in the assortment in the backend.

We have a B2C assortment that also applies to anonymous users and a B2B assortment that applies to specific user groups.

The customer noticed the problem on the B2C assortment.

We have a category with 3 subcategories, all of them are assigned to the assortment, their products show up in the assortment if you search for them, but 2 of the subcategories are not displayed in the navigation.

I am wondering if this is related to 67144 bug that was fixed in 9.6.13 ? It says : XmlNavigation doesn't allow NavigationProviders to append to Ecommerce navigation after refac...

Thank you,

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

It is not 67144 as that is related to custom providers. So as long as you are not using custom navigation providers, that is not the issue.

Adrian Ursu

That's pretty bad. Now I don't have any potential solution :)

How do I debug it?

The address of the solution is https://www.allmedia-cz.cz 

https://www.allmedia-cz.cz/produkty/merici-technika in this section on the left navigation (and on the top navigation) I should have 3 sections and I have just one.

Now I realize that the problem is that the additional 2 sections have their own subsections. Which means they don't have products in them and therefore the navigation won't render them.

If that's the reason, I believe the way it works now is not ideal since you can have 3 level navigation that will only have products on the last level.

In my solution, almost half of the structure is on 3 levels.

Is there anything I can do to trick the assortment? Without assigning products to those categories?

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

I Have handed this one over to support so they can take a look at it.

BR Nicolai

Nicolai Pedersen

You can easily test by adding a product to the groups in second level and see if they show up...

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

I have tested by adding a fake product to all 2nd level categories and they started showing up.

It works for now but we will need a decent solution. Either automated (based on the maximum level set on the navigation property) or manually by checking some property on each group. 

Thank you,

Adrian

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger

Hi Adrian,

I've taken a look at the solution, and I have a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, assortments are not enabled in the frontend, so if you want to use an assortment-specific navigation, then you need to turn on assortments in the frontend. This is done by going to Settings -> Ecommerce -> Advanced configuration -> Assortments and enabling assortments. If you don't want the navigation to respond to assortments, then simply leave assortments disabled.

Secondly, on the product page with the Ecommerce navigation, try and save the page properties again. We have previously seen that this setting can become corrupt after an upgrade but this should repair that.

- Jeppe

Adrian Ursu

Hi Jeppe,

We have disabled the assortment after implementing the solution of adding a fake product in each empty category.

The hack with a fake product worked, the categories showed in the navigation, but the customer decided it would be too complicated to maintain in the long run and therefore decided to turn assortments off until we have an official fix for this issue.

I am looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Thank you,
Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum