Developer forum

Forum » Dynamicweb 9.0 Upgrade issues » NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

Tomas Gomez

Hi,

we have a DW project whose database is installed online, and whose files are local and shared by Git. With this scenario, I updated the Git files, both from DW9.4.18 to 9.5.0, and to synchronize the files with the working team.

After the updates I get a NullReferenceException. I searched the forum but I cannot find any related info about this kind of NullReferenceException (no code changing, no new modules)

I attach a screen capture, sorry for the Spanish lang.

Does anybody know why is it and how to fix it?

Error_NullReferenceException.png

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Tomas

It looks like your solution is not setup correctly. There is no connection to the database. Ensure your local files are not readonly, ensure your IIS is correctly setup to find the /Files/GlobalSettings.aspx file, that the database login information in that file is correct and that the database can be connected to from your box

BR Nicolai

Tomas Gomez

You're faster than lightning, Nicolai !

Thanks for the info, I'll re-check the configuration and the GlobalSettings

Tomas Gomez

Hi Nicolai,

we checked that all users have access to the files folder, the IIS and GlobalSetting configurations, and everything is ok but the error is still there. As well, we looked into some logs to search for more detailed info about the error, unsuccesfully.

Is there more info I can provide you, or do you have any other suggestions?

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Also, try moving / deleting the license files from the /Files folder and then restart the application pool. That fixed it for me.

Tomas Gomez

Thank you, Imar, it worked!

Now the NullReferenceException error has dissapeared, but something is still wrong. The frontend doesn't load the CSS styles, I attach two images with the problem. Just to say, the "Rapido\css\ignite\ignite.css" file was modified manually, no other changes to the CSS has been done.

Again, the CSS error is only after a Git clonation, not in the original computer with the master files of the Git.

If you got any clue about the cause of these errors, please tell me. We usually share the DW folder on a Git project without problems, and don't know what is happening this time.

Browser_console.png Browser_sources.png

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Can you take a look at the response for one of those broken CSS requests in your browser's dev tools? It may give you a clue as to why they return a 500 Server error.

Tomas Gomez

Long time, we finally solved it.

The clue was to delete/move the license file from the /Files folder. VisualStudio created automatically a default Web.config file in that folder, we removed it and everything works again.

Thanks for your help

Nicolai Pedersen

Oh... Thanks for sharing!

You must be logged in to post in the forum