Developer forum

Forum » Dynamicweb 9.0 Upgrade issues » How to connect to database by Windows Authentification

How to connect to database by Windows Authentification

Pavlo Rishko
Pavlo Rishko

Hello.
I installed: 
   Roslyn 3.6.1-rc1
   Dynamicweb.Admin.9.9.3
Copied "Files" folder from Rapido 3.4.1 (rapidofull-20201006-files)
Restored apropriate database.

Next step in instruction say that i need edit GlobalSettings.aspx, and set there database connection.

Could i give example how to connect to local database with Windows Authentification?

Replies

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Pavlo,

Is there any particular reason why you want to use Windows Authentication? It's a little more cumbersome to setup than a SQL user and password as it requires changing the IIS AppPool user and/or the SQL user login. It also has the downside that it's linked to the specific AppPool in IIS, so if you want to host the application in a different AppPool or on a different server, you need to go through the process again.

I would recommend that you use SQL user and password, unless there is a very specific reason not to.

- Jeppe

Votes for this answer: 1

Pavlo Rishko
Pavlo Rishko

Okay, thanks, there are no specific reasons for that.
But how should I know which values I can set in to "<Type></Type>" block?
Can I took list of them somewhere?

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Pavlo

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with Jeppe - but if you want to go the Windows Authentication way, you just supply a connection string in /Files/GlobalSettings.aspx in the node Globalsettings/System/Database/ConnectionString. Leave other nodes in the Database section empty. Use this connection string:

data source=localhost;initial catalog=northwind;persist security info=True; Integrated Security=SSPI;

Change the yellow variables to your environment.

But remember to setup IIS to run with the user you want to authenticate with.

BR Nicolai

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger

If you're using the GlobalSettings that comes with Rapido, it already has a value in that field. In case that value is missing for you, you need to put in ms_sqlserver as the value. The field no longer really has any use since Dynamicweb only supports Microsoft SQL Server.

- Jeppe

You must be logged in to post in the forum