Developer forum

Forum » Dynamicweb 9.0 Upgrade issues » Has upload settings been removed in Dynamicweb 9?

Has upload settings been removed in Dynamicweb 9?

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

Have these fields been removed.

was looking for these settings in the management center, but can´t find them:

Replace spaces with dash (-)

Normalize latin characters (ø->oe, é->e etc.)

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Hans

The replace space with dash etc. are now default. You cannot have urls in DW9 with spaces in them.

Latin normalisation is still around, see dump. I would recommend not to set it - all browsers and SERPs nowadays fully supports UTF-8 based URLs.

BR Nicolai

Capture.PNG

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,

Not that it matters but some food for thought.

Can I assume you don't recomment it because danish (or other cultures) tend to use lating characters in the URL? It's because in Portugal it's common not to use them, so we typically have that checkbox always on. This also means that building a multi-language website it's something to consider. Worst case scenario have it off and cultures that "normalize" the characters (like the Portuguese) would have to fill in the page url property without special characters and/or some custom development that when saving the page checks for the regional settings and normalizes the characters on the url property.

Would you agree with that approach?

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Nuno

As I wrote, there is not need to give this any thought any more if you ask me. I know that once it was different but the world and technology evolves. See this thread where it as also discussed:
http://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/cms-standard-features/cms-standard-features/how-does-the-normalise-characters-feature-work

BR Nicolai

Nuno Aguiar

Perfect, thanks

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

I think we are talking of two different issus. What i mean is filenames and replacing space with dash on fileupload.

You guys are talking about url settings I presume?

Problem we have is that the costumer uploads files with blank space in filename, and links to it in a customfield in eCom, but the browser can not tind the URL on the hyperlink.

br. Hans

Jonathan Pascoe

We Have upgrade an aplication from 9.3.4 to 9.5.7 and have a problem that all the internal links between pages and external links to pages and products are broken because for example in version  9.3.4  "ö" was replaced with "oe"  now it is replaced with "o". This is an urgent problem for a content rich site! Any ideas for a fast solution. I see that you do not recomend using this function(Latin normalisation) which is great for future set ups, but for once that are upgraded and have hundreds of links? How would you surgest that this is aproached?

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Jonathan

This thread revolves around uploading of files - I guess yours i related to urls in general?

We made some modernisations of latin normalisation in 9.4 that involved a faster and more .net Native approach to normalize in order to solve issues in a lot of especially eastern european charactersets. That means that some of the old replacements changed - i.e. Danish ø, å, æ etc. That was fixed quickly - but apparantly we did not get the same done for the Swedish characters.

Therefore, I've just updated the normalisation table to include the Swedish characters. TFS#61313.

That has been merged to 9.5 and 9.6 so you can get an update very soon - later today I hope. You need to update the Dynamicweb.dll with 9.5.9 from Myget when released.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

For internal links you should not see this if links are created 'correctly' using the link features in Dynamicweb. All links should be made like that to also accomodate things like name changing or moving pages around in the structure - which would change the URL.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Jonathan Pascoe

HI sorry for hijaking the thread! But thanks for the quick response. Any thought on this one http://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/ecommerce-standard-features/ecommerce-standard-features/split-testing

Jonathan Pascoe

Hi  Nicolai, Any news about when the download will be available?  This is causing alot of problems for our client! Thanks.

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Jonathan

You can find it here: https://www.myget.org/F/dynamicweb-packages/api/v2/package/Dynamicweb/9.5.27

BR Nicolai

Jonathan Pascoe

Jonathan Pascoe

Hi again! I have tried getting/installing the package vi the link but i just get a file not found error i have tried downloading the nuget package file and running it locally, That lists the content but gives errors when installing. I have tried installing a empty aplication and doing a package restore/ Update no luck there either. This is now urgent. please could you email me the file or a download link to the file. Thanks :)

Nicolai Pedersen

Try downloading it from this list:

https://www.myget.org/feed/dynamicweb-packages/package/nuget/Dynamicweb

Or find it attached.

BR Nicolai

Jonathan Pascoe

Perfect Thanks. updated and working.

Talked to soon!!

Quote from our customer!

"ö is fixed but ä is now "ae" and used to be "a". Also long dash "–" should be "---" in the url. This almost makes the problem worse with more broken links."

Please can you give us a file that uses the same encoding as 9.3.4. I can not stress how urgent this is this is for our client that works extremely hard on content and google ranking which after the update to 9.5.7  is basically  being destroyed!

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Jonathan

It seems like there was differences in the old code, hence the new error. Capital Ä was replaced with Ae and then made small caps, where as ä was replaced with a.

Anyways - I've updated the code again to replace ä and Ä with a. On its way to the feeds.

The character – I cannot handle.

You can however on page properties manually define the name to use in URL - see my dump #1. In there you can overwrite what Dynamicweb would do with your own custom definition.

I know it is anoying with this change of behavior, but it was needed in the bigger picture. Sorry about the inconvenience.

BR Nicolai

Capture.PNG

Nicolai Pedersen

By the way - do not update existing posts - it does not notify us. Continue the thread so we get notified and have history. Thanks!

Jonathan Pascoe

Ok thanks for the update. I have already surgested the method that you mention to our client and it has been declined as being unexceptable. If you cant fix it we will have to try and script in the urls replacing the "-" but I will have to discus this with the client and iam not so sure they will be so happy with having to invest in a fix that has caused by a non breaking changes update. This is quite a basic requirement of backward compatability!

You must be logged in to post in the forum