Developer forum

Forum » Development » Where is "Debug" logged?

Where is "Debug" logged?

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

Hello,

Where is "debug" logged? And what is the intention with the logging method?

Dynamicweb.Logging.LogManager.Current.GetLogger("UserOnExtranetLogin").Debug(message)

Best regards, Anders

Replies

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Anders,

I don't believe that we have any specific thoughts regarding Debug. It is a shorthand to log a message with LogLevel.Debug. It is saved in the same place as all the other logmessages.

We've implemented our ILogLevel based upon the loglevels that NLog exposes, so my guess is, that we've simply exposed it, because NLog also has a Debug LogLevel.

Hope this helps?

BR

Martin

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

Hi Martin,

Okay, then I can tell that information from "Debug" is not logged :-) But it would be nice to have extra data logged when debugging is active, e.g. when having "?debug=true".

Best regards, Anders

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Anders,

Can you show me the code that uses debug but fails to log information or is it the line you posted previously? Our configuration of NLog might do something wrong - it's a bit difficult to read, so some code that reproduces the problem would be great.

We currently dont have any logging for debug=true, but I've always wanted it. The concern being, that our partners might not want to log all that data, is the given reason why it is not being logged (which is a valid point, as debug=true generates a lot of data). If you want it, it should be fairly easy to implement - post it as a feature request, and it believe that Nicolai will reconsider or at least give a better reason than I can, for why it should not be logable. :-)

BR

Martin

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup

Hi Martin,

I just find it a bit strange to have a function like this:

Dynamicweb.Logging.LogManager.Current.GetLogger("UserOnExtranetLogin").Debug(message)

But nothing is logged and settings for the logger is located under /admin, which is not handled by us.

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

I agree Anders! And I think it's even worse: if you use NLog from your own code it's also not logged as Dynamicweb overrides the configuration from code. Or at least, it used to do that....

You must be logged in to post in the forum