Developer forum

Forum » Development » Ensuring compatibility with Dynamicweb 9.7 and onward in regards to .NET Standard

Ensuring compatibility with Dynamicweb 9.7 and onward in regards to .NET Standard

Evaldas Raisutis
Evaldas Raisutis

Hi,

We're looking at prospects of developing a "Core" package within the company, which then should depend on Dynamicweb, allowing us to easily plug-in reusable components built on top of this "Core" package across customers. This, however, presents a problem - .NET Standard libraries cannot depend on  packages targetting .NET Framework. Can we assume that with Dynamicweb 9.7.2 some of the Core Dynamicweb packages will target .NET Standart? Otherwise, when can we expect this to show up on the road map?

Best regards,
Evaldas

Replies

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

Hi Evaldas,

I'm not sure that I understand what your "Core" package is and how you are going to use it. Why does it have to be .NET Standard?

The plan is that Dynamicweb 10 will be running on .NET Core. In order to make that happen we need to make all of our libraries .NET Standard compatible.

We will gradually release .NET Standard versions of our packages during the next year. However, there is currently no detailed release plan that I can share with you.

Best regards,
Morten

Evaldas Raisutis
Evaldas Raisutis

Hi Morten,

Alright, that actually helps for desicions we need to make :)

In regards to "Core" package, an example could be an implementation of an Single-Sign-On module. Generally this would require some dependencies on Dynamicweb, which is a problem if we want to make our packages with .NET Standard (because some of these packages may be platform-agnostic, for example also available on our Umbraco solutions), but we can't install Dynamicweb on a .NET Standard library project, until Dynamicweb itself is .NET Standard.

In other words, we can't build .NET Standard packages dependant on Dynamicweb interfaces until Dynamicweb itself is .NET Standard (or until some of it is at least). As such, I was curious when that could be, but your answer seems to indicate that may come sometime next year.

Best regards,
Evaldas

You must be logged in to post in the forum