Developer forum

Forum » Development » Discount - Offer random product from group

Discount - Offer random product from group

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

We have a customer that wants to set a Discount that offers any product from a specific group. I have 3 ideas (1 bad, 1 worse and 1 godd)

• Bad idea
    Build a Discount Provider that mimics everything (or as much as needed) from Order Discounts and tell the customer to use the (old) Sales discount for this situation only - Allowing them to pick a product group and then pick a random product.
    I don't like it because it impacts reinventing the wheel AND forcing the user to use a different app that does similar things and they get confused and start using both modules (it has happened).

• Worse idea
    Create a dummy (inactive?) product and develop some sort of cart notification that picks up the orderline when that special product exisnts and replaces it a real one.
    I like this better from the UX POV - simple and clean by only using a single discount module - but could be messy because the UI does not provide any help or clues. The user needs to know how this customization works and we've been burned by doing similar stuff back in the days of Dynamicweb 7 and before.

• Good idea
    Ask in the Forum if somebody has a better suggestion cheeky

Thoughts?

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Only in America...

I have no better suggestion than 2...

BR Nicolai

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,