Developer forum

Forum » Development » Custom HTML/JSON editor

Custom HTML/JSON editor

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I am not sure this is the right section to post this question but since it is about customization, I figured it's as good as any other section.

I have a situation for one large prospect, where I need to consider changing the HTML editor or adding a custom editor on top of a textarea input.

The reason for this is that they are using a custom editor in their current solution and that editor is a bit more than just HTML editor it is actually allowing to have a very complex editing option and the result is saved as a JSON. Much like how Visual Composer is doing for Wordpress.

I know this is not familiar ground for DW and I have read a lot of opinions about the PROs and CONs of using JSON format for storing descriptions. Most say that JSON is a lot cleaner format than HTML and I tend to agree with them, especially when you are using that description ina REACT or ANGULAR front-end. Which is also the case of my prospect.
They are planning on using the PIM for managing products and then serve the content to their existing Front-end/ecommerce.

This request is a deal-breaker and I cannot go further with them unless I find a solution.

It can be either a replacement of the current CK editor or a way to create a custom field (textarea) and through some development, add the whole editing logic.

It would probably be easier to tackle it with a custom field type in an Item but since we are talking about PIM and Product fields, I imagine it is a bit more complicated.

Any thoughts on this would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

The editor in Dynamicweb is a provider - so you should be able to create your own. I do not think anyone did that though...

Attached find our implementation - then you can add the editor you want.

Have fun and good luck!

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Thank you very much!

Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum