Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Welcome Email send not successful in one try

Welcome Email send not successful in one try

Anna Gaeta Dynamicweb Employee
Anna Gaeta

Hello,

WIth a recent customer, they set up a marketing campaign for their Welcome Email to 24,073 of their customers. Upon sending it, only 768 emails sent and the email campaign showed as 'failed.'

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 2.26.06 PM.png

In order to nudge this along, I was able to click the 'Retry' but the site would take 4-5 min to try and send again, and then produce a system error. After logging into backend again, I'd see approx 1000 more sent each time after I retried. It took most of the day to get through sending all emails with this process.

I took this to our CTO, Scott Forsyth and he could not find any reason for failure in the logs. Any thoughts on why the site could only send small batches at a time? 

(Site version 9.10.17)

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

How is the SMTP setup on this site? Is it using a service or local SMTP?

24000 emails is a lot and if you use an external smtp service (and not i.e. a Sendgrid API account) the service can have throttle and rate limits that can cause this to happen.

To send this many emails you need to either use the dropfolder on the webserver or a an API delivery provider like Sendgrid. Please refer to email marketing docs: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/documentation-9/marketing/email-marketing/email-marketing#10302

BR Nicolai

Anna Gaeta

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for the response. The SMTP is set up with a Sendgrid account, which was the surprising part that it couldn't handle it. Is there anything further I could provide on this to help determine why it had the throttling issues?

Thanks - Anna

Nicolai Pedersen

Sendgrid comes in 2 flavors. Smtp service and api. If you use the smtp service, it is not very fast. You need the API to send this many emails relatively fast.

What subscription do you have for this specific installation?

Anna Gaeta

Hi again,

I looked at this closer and confirmed that we're using the Dynamicweb Send provider which is SMTP based, for marketing emails. I've gotten some direction from Scott that we need to create a new provider in the Marketing settings for Sendgrid API. Thanks for the discussion to help us get to what we needed!

Anna

You must be logged in to post in the forum