Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Website property vs language

Website property vs language

Siv Hansen
Siv Hansen

I've come to understand that you can have multiple websites with translations in DW. What I don't understand is how to organise them. For example, I've made a demo for Finnskogen Adventures in Norwegian and English, and I also have a sports whole-sales webshop in Norwegian and English in my DW installation (4 websites, and counting). My Norwegian version of Finnskogen Adventures has named "Norsk" before, and the language layer "English". The same was the case with my sports shop. However, if I manage several websites and they all are named after their language, it will be impossible for me to know which one I'm working on... and so I renamed them to "Finnskogen Adventures no-NB" and "Finnskogen Adventures en-GB". It is now easy to know which website I'm editing.

However, this resulted in a surprisingly change in the front end interface, for my language selector. Now I don't have "norsk" and "English" anymore, but "finnskogen Adventures no-NB" and "Finnskogen Adventures en-GB"! See for yourself.

I don't know if this is a bug, a configuration error or something I did wrong. 

Best wishes.

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Siv

I am affraid that is how it works. In the website setting, layout tab, you can define if you want the flag, the name or a combination.

It would probably be an idea to add an additional field to control what name should be used in the dropdown.

I've sent the feature request to the team - hope to have it for the next Rapido release.

Thank you for the input.

BR Nicolai

Siv Hansen
Siv Hansen

I'm so happy with your answere.

But - as I see it there is no need for any extra field. A website has a title and a language setting. The language setting properties can be displayed in the frontend, in a human readable format (not nb-NO, but "Norsk", and "en-GB" is "English"). From a user perspective, the distinction between US English, GB English, Australian English etc is a non-important one, so from my point of view, only the language name would be suffice.

Just my 2 cents.

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Siv

Thank you for the feedback - we know from experience that there all kinds of exceptions and additional whishes, so this approach would probably be solving the request for all.

It now has TFS#59379

Thanks, Nicolai

You must be logged in to post in the forum