Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Using Group Admins combined with e-mail marketing

Using Group Admins combined with e-mail marketing

Jordy Goorman

Dynamicweb Version: 8.9.1.0

I want to create a CMS-user (Group Admin) which has access to a specific user-group in User Management. I need this for e-mail marketing. This group admin should be able to access and edit everything in this group, also importing new users (from Excel / CSV). However, options to import, do not seem to be available to this group admin. Another problem seems to be that it is impossible to create any sub-groups. Creating a sub-group as a group-admin, pretents to work, but results in a new folder, which I am unable to see as this user. This newly created sub-group however, seems to be there when logging in as an administrator.

Another problem is, that when using e-mail marketing, I want this CMS-user to access only the user-group (to be receipients for his e-mail capaign) which is asigned to him, being a group admin. This works fine as long as I chose to ad the whole group (I can only select the group asigned to me). However, when chosing to add specific users as receipients, I can select any user from any group in user managament, regardless if I am alowed to see it or not.

Is there any setting to prevent these things from happening, or are we dealing with a bug?

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Jordy

No such setting - its just one of those things that has gone back and forth many times because differnt partners/customers all want it to work in different ways...

The problem with import is that he can import a user that will give him self access to all of the application. So it is a security problem.

When subgroups are created, the user does not have access - because it has not been granted. Should the permissions be granted automatically, maybe. Could be a bug, could be deliberate . would have to look into that.

With regards to email marketing - being a group admin is not permissions so you cannot see users in that group - it is a who can create and delete users in this group. It would be a big task to move this from a management feature to a permission feature.

I'll have QA look into the sub group issue.

BR Nicolai

Jordy Goorman

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for your prompt reply. According to that, I think that the described way is not the one to go for this specific need.

Do you have any suggestions about how to use Dynamicweb to give several cms-users the opportunity to manage their own recipient-group in order to send predefined newsletters. I need this function for a case where a customer (manufacturer of bike-parts) wants to support his preferred dealers for sending newsletters to their customers (the end-users)

Thanx in advance!

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Jordy

I have no good solutions I am affraid. Best bet is to add some kind of logic to the frontend where they can edit newsletter and recipients. There are a lot of things to learn to setup a page for newsletter, add users to groups, setup the mail and have it send.

Moving the user management to the frontend (using the users module) and some more simple editing feature of the email also, and then have the sending of newsletters scheduled somehow, would be my best bet.

BR Nicolai

Jordy Goorman

Okay, that makes sense. Only question left is this issue:

Another problem is, that when using e-mail marketing, I want this CMS-user to access only the user-group (to be receipients for his e-mail capaign) which is asigned to him, being a group admin. This works fine as long as I chose to ad the whole group (I can only select the group asigned to me). However, when chosing to add specific users as receipients, I can select any user from any group in user managament, regardless if I am alowed to see it or not.

Is this a bug? Because we don't want a content manager to see other users than the ones asigned to him being a group admin.

Thanks again!

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Jordy

I can only repeat from my first reply: "With regards to email marketing - being a group admin is not permissions so you cannot see users in that group - it is a who can create and delete users in this group."

It might not be what you want and I agree it could be a nice feature having permisions on permissions. But currently it is not the case. They are called group admins - and not "permissions".

I'll add the request to the whishlist though for future version.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

You must be logged in to post in the forum