Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » SQL - Choose field based on another fields value

SQL - Choose field based on another fields value

Morten Lund

Hi

How can I choose a field based on another fields value in SQL? In MySQL I would use CONCAT - but it only works in SQL Server 2012 - as far as I can see.

I'm trying to do the following from the AccessUser table:

SELECT Firm.*, Empl.*
FROM AccessUser Firm, AccessUser Empl
WHERE Firm.AccessUserParentID = '261' AND Empl.AccessUserGroups LIKE ('%' + Firm.AccessUserID + '%')

In my search for an solution, I've found out that I could use  '+' (plusses) instead of CONCAT - But all i get is "Incorrect syntax near 'Firm'" - which relates to the 'LIKE' section of the SQL. I have tried to strip the parenthethis, the spaces etc. but nothing seems to work.

Is it not possible to do such query?! Can someone help?

Replies

Morten Lund

I have tried different things now - and according to the docs, this should be OK

SELECT Firm.*, Empl.*
FROM AccessUser AS Firm, AccessUser AS Empl
WHERE Firm.AccessUserParentID = '261' AND Empl.AccessUserGroups LIKE ('%@' + CAST(Firm.AccessUserID AS VARCHAR(10)) + '@%')

But it returns "Incorrect syntax near 'CAST'."

Docs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177561%28v=sql.100%29.aspx

Morten Snedker

Hi Morten,

It tried copy/paste your code and to me it works fine:

So can't really figure what goes wrong. I don't take you have AccessUserIDs longer the 10 characters?

Is it hosted @ hostnordic? Then I could try there.

/Snedker

Morten Lund

Hi Morten,

Thank you for the answer.

Actually, until now I've tested in SQL Firehose - where the errors appeared.

But now I have tried to put it inside a DataList and everything works fine! So that's great..

Does the SQL Firehose not accept '+' operands? :)

You must be logged in to post in the forum