Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Menu error after upgrade

Menu error after upgrade

Dan Avramescu

Hi guys,

I've upgraded a solution from 8.7.2.5 to 8.7.2.8. When accesing the admin menu it shows the following error:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Dynamicweb.Content.Items.Metadata.MetadataManager.ClearOptionMetadataCache(FieldOptionSourceType itemSourceType) +146
   Dynamicweb.Admin.Menu4.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1127
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3177

You can see it here too: http://screencast.com/t/uNsYSZjVk

It seems to have something to do with the metadata cache. I tried recycling the application pool and deleting the cache from here http://www.ppt.ro/Admin/Content/Management/Pages/SystemSolutionReport_cpl.aspx but with no luck.

Any idea how I can solve this?

Thanks,

Dan

Replies

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Dan

It was an error on the update. The service desk have re-run the update script for you, and now it works. (you can also do that your self in MC.)

BR Nicolai

Dan Avramescu
Hi Nicolai, Actually there was a user item type that got corrupted after update. The update script didn't work (that's the first thing we try when something fails on version upgrade). The error persisted even after downgrading to the initial version. This was resolved only after deleting the corrupted item from database and the xml from files. BR, Dan

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Just for future references, how do I rerun the update from MC?

Delete the update.xml referene and save?

Is there any other method?

Thanks,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

I just had the same issue and re-run the updates without any result. The error is still there.

Downgrading to the previous version did not solve it. I have the same error.

This time there is no obvious ItemType corrupted.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Dynamicweb.Content.Items.Metadata.MetadataManager.ClearOptionMetadataCache(FieldOptionSourceType itemSourceType) +142
   Dynamicweb.Admin.Menu4.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1077
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +92
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +54
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +772

Adrian Ursu

I am uploading the Update Error Log maybe it sheds some light.

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Adrian

As Dan writes it turned out to be an item that is broken in the database. So the item type in question, try to locate its table in the database (ItemType_SystemName) and delete the table. The go to MC and click the update button in items overview. That will recreate the table.

BR Nicolai

Adrian Ursu

This time it is not.

The problem occured to the same solution. This time when I tried to set a testing environment.

I have investigated the Items folder and could not find a broken ItemType xml. Last time I was the one that spotted the Item issue, so I know what to look for.

My feeling is that it is related to the database somwhow. During the upgrade there might be some sort of cleanup of the cache or indexes.

I have checked the Update log (attached in my previous post) and there is a lot of Red in there. SOme of the errors are pretty weird since they say something about duplicate columns or not recognizing "Now".

It just occurred to me that it might be related to the SQL server version?

We are using SQL Server Standard version 12.0.2000.8

Not sure if it's relevant or not.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Restoring the databse to an older backup seemed to solve it.

I believe there is still something wrong with the upgdate script in this version.
You should probably keep an eye on similar errors from other people.

Thanks,

Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum