Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Length of IP address

Length of IP address

Ben Doorn

Guys,

What is the maximum length of an IP address in Denmark :)

We encountered a problem upgrading a solution to DW 8.6 after turing the solution upside down we discovered a new table in the database (ClusteringInstance) that contans a char(11) field that should hold the ip adres of the server. An IP addres is between 7 and 15 chars including the dots. Unfortunally our server has an IP address of 12 chars. The initialization failed on this. And every request ended up into a SQL error, frontend and backend.

It is unclear to us why the clustering initialization is executed, we are running this solution on a shared hosting environment and clustering is not configured. But there is probably a good reason for it.

Kind regards,

Ben

Replies

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Ben

Sounds strange - must be an error. Just change the length of the field in the database to 15, and we will also have a look at it.

BR Nicolai

Jeroen Elias

I have watched this upgrade issue (from 8.2.3.17 to 8.6.0.0) together with Ben and Jesse this morning. In the update log you can see that update package 931 from updates.xml.aspx fails because this table "ClusteringInstance" already exists. Probably done by an earlier upgrade. There were no records in that table by the way.

The point is that column "InstanceIP" has a length of 11 characters, which can never hold any IP address. We changed that to a higher value.

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Jeroen

It is package 933 and 934 - and I can see that 934 tries to fix the length issue to 15 chars.

I've changed the update script to do it right the first time.

BR Nicolai

You must be logged in to post in the forum