Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Installation
Pat Tohill

While setting up a new installation of Dynamic Web (my first attempt) I'm getting an error as soon as the application starts. I'll also note that I thought the documentation for new installations is quite lacking. For example actually locating the Default database backup was not straight forward and it's also not clear what actually needs to be added to the Files directory. Those problems aside I'd like to get this copy of Dynamic Web 8 working for evaluation purposes.

ASP.NET Stack Trace

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Dynamicweb.Base.SetGs(String Path, String Value, Boolean UseCDATA) +1316
   Dynamicweb.Frontend.GlobalAsaxHandler.ApplicationStart(Object sender, EventArgs e) +491
   Dynamicweb.Frontend.GlobalAsaxHandler.Application_AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +39
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +164

Replies

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Pat

Sorry about the inconvenience - have not heard that before. I'll ask the QA to verify your points on the installation guide.

The files you have to add to the /Files directory is the files you find in the download folder from the zip named /Files. The database should be in the root of the zip when you download the file.

With regards to the error your are getting, I think its probably related to permissions. It seems like the APP pool does not have access to write to the GlobalSettings.aspx files located in /Files

BR Nicolai

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi Pat,

Have you seen this document? http://developer.dynamicweb-cms.com/documentation/for-developers/dynamicweb-custom-modules/building-modules-series/introduction.aspx

It provides detailed guidance on installing Dynamicweb which hopefully does the trick for you.

Cheers,

Imar

You must be logged in to post in the forum