Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Hide language layer

Hide language layer

John Broers

Is it possible to set a language layer of a website to some kind of unpublished state so that it's only accessible on the backend?

As soon as we make a new language layer the website is accessible on the frontend, which is not what we want. If i set the language layer to inactive the website is not accessible in the backend anymore and the content can't be edited.

Replies

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi John,

There is no way to accomplish it so far.

I have asked for something similar myself a while ago: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/cms-standard-features/cms-standard-features/list-languages/websites-with-permissions

Maybe Nicolai will have a good Christmas surprise for us :)

Adrian

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe you can use it anyway...

You can configure permissions on the website and set permission to "None" for the system roles "Anonymous users (frontend)" and "Authenticated users (frontend)".

The pages will still be accessible in front end, but the main content is not displayed. You can choose to display a login form by selecting a login template on the website (or use the login template to display a message, redirect to somewhere else, etc.).

However, you will have to grant permission to some user (or user group) and use that for front end authentication if you need to preview the pages.

Best regards,
Morten

Job van den burg

Hi Morten, 

Thank you for your prompt reply. As long as this would prevent the language switch from appearing that'd fine, but as I recall it doesn't. 

We really miss the standard feature from Dynamicweb to have some sort of Draft version in the website settings so it doesn't show yet. We have built some custom code earlier so the client could start translating the content and, until finished, it wouldn't appear in the frontend at all. Now we have this situation again with a different customer, Nikolai missed this back in April previous year already and I guess we're not the only ones. To be honest we were quiet surprised this has not been developed already nor it's been placed on some sort of know bug or roadmap. 

Could this be noted and planned somehow? 

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Job

Using permissions will hide the content - see dump on how to set that up.

I have also just send a small feature to the dev team for 9.8 to introduce a "Published" checkbox on a website that will give you a 404 if you are not logged into the backend when visiting a page on an unpublished website. We are very very close to code freeze (release is 28/1), but I think we will make it. TFS#73894.

BR Nicolai

Capture.PNG
Votes for this answer: 2

You must be logged in to post in the forum