Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Frontend editing

Frontend editing

Adrian Ursu

Hi Guys,

Although it seems like a nice feature, I could not find a way to use it for translating a site for example.

Ia m not sure if this is because it is implemented partially or it is documented partially.
Can anyone enlighten me on what shoudl I expect from this functionality?
So far it seems I am not able to edit page or paragraph titles, menus, paragraph images or items in general.
I am using 8.4.1.8

Thanks,

Adrian

Replies

Merethe Nielsen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi,

In Frontend editing it is possible to edit rich text fields in paragraphs and rich text fields in item types.

Kind regards,
Merethe

Votes for this answer: 1

Mikkel Ricky

Dynamicweb actually contains some hidden gems that can help you edit content from the frontend, but not actually in the frontend.

When a page in rendered and a user is logged in to the Dynamicweb backend, a number of additional template tags containing some useful links for editing the content being rendered are available.

In a page layout template you can use something like this to help users easily edit content in the backend

<fieldset>
    <legend>Page actions</legend>

@if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(GetString("PageEditInBackendUrl")))
    {
        <a target="backend" href='@GetString("PageEditInBackendUrl")'>Edit page</a>
    }
    @if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(GetString("PageParagraphsEditInBackendUrl")))
    {
        <a target="backend" href='@GetString("PageParagraphsEditInBackendUrl")'>Edit paragraphs</a>
    }
    @if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(GetString("PageItemEditInBackendUrl")))
    {
        <a target="backend" href='@GetString("PageItemEditInBackendUrl")'>Edit item</a>
    }
</fieldset>

Similarily in paragraph templates

<fieldset>
    <legend>Paragraph actions</legend>

@if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(GetString("ParagraphEditInBackendUrl")))
    {
        <a target="backend" href='@GetString("ParagraphEditInBackendUrl")'>Edit paragraph</a>
    }
    @if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(GetString("ParagraphEditModuleInBackendUrl")))
    {
        <a target="backend" href='@GetString("ParagraphEditModuleInBackendUrl")'>Edit module</a>
    }
</fieldset>

This is not real frontend editing, but these urls helps solving the basic problem of finding the content that you want to edit, and then lets you edit the content in a familiar interface.

Best regards,
Mikkel 

Adrian Ursu

Thanks a lot for the info. It is indeed useful.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum