Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Folder and Navigation

Folder and Navigation

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi there,

I experimented a bit with the new Folder option in the navigation structure, and observed the following:

1. Pages inside a folder are always place in the root, regardless of the folder structure.

2. Pages inside a folder not the folder itself show up by default in the Navigation XML.

3. When explicitly pointing to a folder using parentid in a dwnavigation, the pages in that folder do show up in the navigation XML.

4. You can't create folders under regular pages; only inside the root, or as a sub folder to another folder.

Is this by design? A lot of it makes sense to me, but how would you use it in multi-language sites? A folder doesn't have a navigation tag, so how would you have a menu (say, a Footer region) that shows pages from a Footer folder in multiple languages without duplication the layout to point to different IDs? And is this the intended use case for the Folder concept?

Thanks,

Imar

Replies

Imar Spaanjaars

Bump. Does anyone have any information on this?

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars

Bump 2..... Any information available on how folders should work?

Imar

Kevin O''Driscoll

Hi Imar, Mikkel's on holiday, so no-one knows!, I have two questions since 9/4/2014, meantime we row our own boat...

Mikkel Ricky
This post has been marked as an answer

I'm not an expert on folders but in the spec for implementing them it says

[A folder is] a page that is hidden in menu, not in sitemap, not in search, not in breadcrumb, not clickable. Also "Do not include URL in subpage URLs " is default set to true.
It will have a folder icon and can be used for storing News items etc.

It's by design that you can only create folders in the root of the page tree, but we've been discussing if this is the right design.

I see folders as a way of storing content that you'll publish using the item publisher or by referencing the content from another content element (i.e. connect a media item to a paragraph). The subfolder structure is only for organizing content in the folders, i.e. not something you should rely on for building (hierarchical) menus.

That's my layman view on folders.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Votes for this answer: 1

Kevin O''Driscoll

Welcome back from holiday Mikkel, we missed you.

Imar Spaanjaars

Thanks Mikkel, that makes sense.

Imar

You must be logged in to post in the forum