Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Encrypting all users

Encrypting all users

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi there,

I have a site with about 10K users. I want to encrypt the users' passwords but using the "Encrypt extranet" functionality in the Management Center (under Control panel | Modules | User Management) seems to crash before it completes. It also takes a long time to complete. A few questions / observations:

1. I think I can safely restart this as it looks at the password length and doesn't double-encrypt currently encrypted passwords, right?

2. The code seems to do an N+1 (or actually 2N+1 at least. as it does a select and an uodate for every user) Would there be a different way to do this in batches instead?

3. When I click the Encrypt button the page hangs for a while (while encrypting passwords). Once it stops, clicking it again gives me an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." exception. Clicking the button a third time then works OK and it continues encrypting passwords.

4. Any risks associated with clicking that button multiple times until all of them are encrypted? Or should we wait for a fix for this?

Thanks!

Imar

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Imar

Sorry about that!

@1: Right

@2: Yes sounds like it could be improved! It should be possible to do this optimized quite a bit

@3: Noted

@4: Nope - just click until all are encrypted.

Bug TFS#38829

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Thanks Nicolai!

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Imar

The problem TFS#38829 "Encrypting many users in one go fails with exceptions and hangs" has now been fixed in version 8.9.2.8

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

You must be logged in to post in the forum