Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Deploying website layers

Deploying website layers

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

I have a project where I want to start using the deployment tool.
I have 2 solutions:Staging and Production.

On both of them I have several websites and some of them have Language layers.

My aim here is to understand how I can deploy a website and its Language layer from Staging to Production.

The documentation says:"... Language layers are deployed as regular websites – don’t select them when transferring areas/websites unless this is what you want..."

From the above description, I understand that the deployment will not keep the Master/child relationship between the Master website and the Language Layer.

Is there any way I can maintain this relationship?

Thank you,

Adrian

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

The relation ship will be kept, but if you want to deploy the master and the language, you have to select both of them. The language does not get deployed when deploying the master, so that is what is meant.

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Thank you.

This means that I have to have all the configurations and choose both Areas (websites) when moving over.

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi NIcolai,

My first attempt failed:

• Both websites (master and language layer) have been deployed but as independent websites.
  • Pages have been deployed but not connected with each other (I mean master and language child)
  • Grid rows have been deployed 
  • Paragraphs have not been connected with their corresponding Grid rows.

Not sure if it matter, I am using DW 9.10.12.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi NIcolai,

I have tried again (deleting everything from previous deployment).

I got the following error:

Unable to import. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Dynamicweb.Content.Items.Metadata.XmlWebsiteItemTypeLayouts..ctor(Int32 areaId) at Dynamicweb.Content.Area.get_ItemTypeLayouts() at Dynamicweb.Frontend.LayoutTemplateLocator.FindLayoutTemplateForPageItem(Page page) at Dynamicweb.Frontend.LayoutTemplateLocator.FindLayoutTemplateForPage(Page page) at Dynamicweb.Content.Page.get_Layout() at Dynamicweb.Content.Paragraph.get_Container() at Dynamicweb.Content.Data.ParagraphRepository.InsertParagraph(Paragraph paragraph, Boolean restoringParagraph) at Dynamicweb.Content.Data.ParagraphRepository.Save(Paragraph paragraph) at Dynamicweb.Content.ParagraphService.SaveParagraph(Paragraph paragraph) at Dynamicweb.Deployment.DataItemProviders.Content.ParagraphDataItemWriter.WriteItems(IEnumerable`1 dataItems) at Dynamicweb.Deployment.DataItemProviders.Content.ContentDataItemWriter.WriteDataItems(IEnumerable`1 items, DataItemProvider dataItemProvider) at Dynamicweb.Deployment.LocalDeploymentProvider.ImportDataGroups(Package package, Tracker tracker, Dictionary`2 dataGroupsByParentId, String parentId) at Dynamicweb.Deployment.LocalDeploymentProvider.ImportPackage(String id, Package package, Tracker tracker) at Dynamicweb.Deployment.DeploymentProvider.<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<DeployDataItemsFrom>b__0(Tracker tracker)

This is what I have selected for sync:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Any idea about why I got the WebsiteLayout error?

Any particular place I should investigate? Because of that error, the paragraphs are not moved over.

Thank you,
Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

Maybe missing templates?

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

I thought of that and I have moved over the entire Design folder.

I have also made sure that the WebsiteLayout_{0} files have been copied over.

And I still get the error.

I believe that I will have to check every template mentioned in the WebsiteLayout XML and make sure it is available.

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

I have checked both Templates and WebsiteLayout configurations and they are identical. At least for the Websites I want to deploy.

Any other idea about what else I should check? Or, at least, How I can get a more explicit error message about what is generating the  System.NullReferenceException?

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Short update. After further investigations in the EventViewer, I have managed to solve some issues with some ItemTypes and managed to sync paragraphs over.

The only missing thing now is the Master/child relationships between Areas,Pages and Paragraphs. Right now, they are completely separated.

From what I see in the JSON file for the paragraphs, there is no information about the Master paragraph. IS there any way I can add it in the definition?

Thank you,

Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum