Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Data Lists and Form For Datalists capabilities

Data Lists and Form For Datalists capabilities

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

First of all, I must state that I have no Experience what so ever using Data Lists and Forms For Data Lists, so bare with me if this is a silly question.

But I have at costumer who needs a booking system for booking time slots for meeting. And along with the booking,  they costumer should be able to attach files.

They refer to this as an Example https://rudersdal.reservertid.nu/Time/1271?pid=1822

could this be done in somewhat standardiced Dynamicweb, and could it be done using Data Lists and Form For Datalists, and would this make sense considiring the high number of timeslots, and the need for an editor - of somewhat good technical understanding - being able to edit and add/remove timeslots

All input regarding finding a capable solution is more than welcome :) Even if it includes using a thirdparty system for handling this.

/Hans

Replies

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Hans,

I've struggled in the past to do anything Event based in Dynamicweb, just like the one you presented. I always opted for either simpler solutions or 3rd party.

The problem is that you have multiple time slots per day, and availability is different per time slot, and per day you can even have different slots. This is a booking system of its own. I could not find a way with the existing tools in DW to get this complexity to work efficiently without investing a lot of hours.

If your booking slots are meetings, essentially that makes it somewhat easier (rather than events where you need to manage tickets and sometimes multiple types of tickets), but you still need some sort of calendar based booking and a way to set up the slots (similar to Outlook's calendar events with recurrencies). That's the complex task.

If you can then output all of that data in a calendar format, you can easilly book a slot (flag), so as far as I can see, the booking part is the simplest.

Sorry I can't help you too much, hope that at least this info helps you avoid developing you into a corner.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

I will explain how I would do it, hoping that it might give you a few ideas.

I believe you have 2 separate issues:

1. Collect Data

2. Display

I assume you want to use DataLists because you don't want to create a custom tree structure in the content section. Assuming this assumption is correct, you can probably use either DataList or FormsForEditors for storing data.

Then, you will have to publish a feed with all slots that are booked already. Using DataLists might make it easier to display this feed without custom code (assuming a Razor template is not custom code). If you use Forms ForEditors, I am not sure how you would retrieve data from the forms submitted in order to create this booked slot feed.

Depending on how you plan on managing the slots available, you can either render them automatically for each day and deactivate the booked slots based on the feed mentioned above or you have to build a separate way of managing these slots. I would go for the first option since it's a bit easier :)

I can't talk yet about uploading a file using Forms for DataLists as I have not done it yet but maybe someone from DW can have any input on this. I know you can do it with Forms For Editors.

For files, another option would be to store the file as bit64 in a field. But it requires a bit more customization of the code.

I hope this helps.

Adrian

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi Nuno and Adrian

Thank you very mutch for your reply and help 🙏 Think I will look for a thirdparty system to manage this. as it would be too mutch of forcing Dynamicweb to do something that it wasn´t meant to do.

/Hans

You must be logged in to post in the forum