Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » CDN performance, slow to render HTML?

CDN performance, slow to render HTML?

Mats Lycken

Hi!
I've been evaluating CDN-solutions for a customer and have a weird issue. When I enable CDN it takes longer to render the HTML. It is consistent and reproducable.

I had the same result with 8.5.1 and 8.6.0.4.

To test it I ran 4 test runs. First without CDN, then I enabled it, turned it off and then on again. I'm using Cloudfront with these tests but I have also gotten the same results with MaxCDN. The issue is with the HTML-rendering so I don't think the CDN provider should affect the result.

I'm reloading the same page in Chrome and seeing how long it takes for the .aspx to be returned to the browser. The page is a product list page for an ecommerce site.

Here are the load times.

Without CDN:
1,47s
1,52s
1,52s
1,47s
1,49s
1,58s

With CDN:
2,87s
2,69s
2,79s
3,49s
2,76s
2,78s

Without CDN:
1,61s
1,63s
1,49s
1,62s
1,61s
1,61s

With CDN:
2,70s
2,73s
2,74s
2,89s
3,30s
2,81s

Has anyone else had the same experiences using CDN's? I would really like to have this offering to our high-traffic ecommerce customers that has lots of products with images but we're getting worse performance with this.

We are not using Razor templates for this solution btw, could that affect the performance? I thought the solution built on using string.replace on the final output before it is being returned to the user so I was not expecting any differences in rendering performance.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

BR,
Mats

Replies

Nicolai Høeg Pedersen

Hi Mats

I can verify that I see something similar. It seems to be the regex that handles the replace of img src to the CDN's urls that causes the slow down. This is primarily visible on pages with large html outputs.

Will look into this and get back. TFS#16845

Thanks, Nicolai

Mats Lycken

Great, thank you Nicolai.

Jacob Bertelsen

Hi Nicolai,

A customer on 8.6.1.14 possibly wishes to have us implement CDN for static assets.
Is 8.6.1.14 new enough, to benefit from the improved regex replace?

Thanks in advance :)

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Jacob

That is not new enough - has to be 8.7+.

You can add the CDN url prefix directly to the templates though, and that will be the fastest...

You must be logged in to post in the forum