Developer forum

Forum » Integration » Schema mismatches corrupt job files

Schema mismatches corrupt job files

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi there,

I am running into this over and over again, so I finally decided to post in the forum about it.

Whenever there's a schema mismatch, clicking OK on the Check Tables Schema dialog saves the underlying job XML but eventually leaves it in a corrupted state, forcing you to recreate the job file. Here's a common scenario.

1. I have two sites: dev and production

2. On dev I create a job that imports from an XML file into EcomProducts. This job copies into a new product field I added in dev.

3. When done, I copy the job to production. I forgot to add the custom field in production.

4. Opening the job leads to a schema mismatch warning which is expected. I click the green checkmark Check Tables Schema which highlights the issue.

Clicking OK to close the dialog corrupts the job,. At first site, there's no issue. My list of columns is loaded and the column that was not added to production shows up as None. That's fine. I then move away from the job (confirming I am OK with losing my changes (which I won't as it turns out) to add the field to the Product Fields section. When I come back to the job, all mappings are gone. There's no table or column mapping anymore.

Notice I didn't click Save or Save and close. All I did was clicking OK on the Check Tables Schema dialog which apparently saves the job internally. I think that's bad for two reasons:

1. There's no escape; closing the dialog means you're screwed

2. It corrupts the job, forcing you to fully recreate it.

Anyone else seeing this? 

Happy to provide more information and repro steps if needed.

Cheers,

Imar

Replies

Dmitriy Benyuk Dynamicweb Employee
Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Imar,
that is a bug(that mapping is missed after leaving the job after clicking Check tables schema button -> OK button).
Regarding the reasons/notes:
1. escape: in the dialog shown the erros you can click "Cancel" so no actions/error fixes will be made on your job.
Also there is a warning text above the "OK" button: "Click OK to use the current schema for source and destination".
Maybe it should have a better description and OK button should be renamed to "Correct errors"
2. That will be fixed.

Regards, Dmitrij

Imar Spaanjaars

Hi Dmitrij,

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear that one bug will get fixed. Do you have a TFS number so I can track it?

Regarding this:

>> Also there is a warning text above the "OK" button: "Click OK to use the current schema for source and destination".

That's true. However, it says use current schema; it doesn't say use current schema and overwrite the job file. All interactions on the job happen underneath the RibbonBar that has Save, Save and Close and Cancel buttons. This gives the impression you can do whatever you want and you can always back out by clicking Cancel. However, OK on the Schema button breaks that as it saves the file for you without the ability to Cancel afterwards. It sure doesn't follow the principle of least surprise ;-) Is there a way to prevent the job file from being updated at that point?

Thanks!!

Imar

Dmitriy Benyuk Dynamicweb Employee
Dmitriy Benyuk
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Imar,
tfs# 36166. Yes, I'll try to implement the job saving only once from the Ribbon buttons.
Regards, Dmitrij

Votes for this answer: 1

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Imar 

The problem TFS#36166 "Missed mapping after clicling "Check table schema" dialog" has now been fixed in Package "Dynamicweb.DataIntegration" version 1.0.13

You are able to find this update in the backend Package update section.

The hotfix 9.2.17 also contain this correction

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Imar Spaanjaars

Thanks guys!

You must be logged in to post in the forum