Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Scheduled Task with more than 1 action

Scheduled Task with more than 1 action

Justin Sjouw Dynamicweb Employee
Justin Sjouw

Hi,

I really like the way of working described here, it opens up a lot of flexibility. https://doc.dynamicweb.com/community/devblog/blog/alternatives-to-applying-code-in-you-integration-flow?PID=8967

After working on a couple of use cases, I think this way of working could be even better supported if we have the ability to add more than 1 action in a scheduled task, supporting the following scenario:

1. Setting up some staging tables in a SQL script
  2. Running 1 or more endpoint tasks, getting data into the staging tables
  3. Running some SQL script to manipulate the data, and move it to the actual tables.

Altough I can already do this, I requires me to make 3 scheduled tasks in specific order using the "Run if previous task executed successfully" checkbox (which has dissapeared or is renamed in DW10?)

For 1 task this is doable, but I f I have more, it quickly builds up into a messy and error prone list. 

It would be awesome if a scheduled task can contain more than 1 step, executing each sequentially allowing the steps above to be part of 1 scheduled task..

Cheers,

Justin

Replies

Rasmus Sanggaard Dynamicweb Employee
Rasmus Sanggaard

Hi Justin,

We are exploring ways to enhance the capabilities of scheduled tasks in DW10. This includes features like multiple actions on a task, running tasks in sequence, the ability to cancel running tasks, improving the task overview, and better support/control of asynchronous tasks.

Although these improvements are not currently on our roadmap, they are on our radar for potential future development.

Regarding the "Run if previous task executed successfully" checkbox, it is actually "Only run if the previous task executed successfully" = "Don't run if previous task failed". It's the same checkbox with different wording in DW10.

BR Rasmus

Justin Sjouw Dynamicweb Employee
Justin Sjouw

Hey Rasmus,

Sounds good! 

Meanwhile I would just like to double check, I need the below 4 tasks to run in sequence, so I scheduled the first at 15:15, and the other 3 are set to only execute if the "previous task exectued succesfully"

Will that work?

Thanks,

Justin

Rasmus Sanggaard Dynamicweb Employee
Rasmus Sanggaard
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Justin,

Correct, that should work if you have sorted them, given there are not other tasks intervening the queue.  

BR Rasmus

Votes for this answer: 1