Developer forum

Forum » Development » SQL timeout on users - Custom Fields

SQL timeout on users - Custom Fields

Daniel Hollmann

Hi DW.

We have a large solution with a lot of users in the AccessUser table.

We are running DW version 9.14.9

Before going to production with a new feature, we wanted to add a custom field, for all the users.
However, the action timed out during the action where it updated the users from the backend web interface.

I got this error: (Seems to be the same as this one)

Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out]
[SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Operation cancelled by user.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) +3321580

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) +736

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) +4454

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) +1293

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) +421

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +380

Dynamicweb.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(IDbCommand command) +515

Dynamicweb.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBuilder commandBuilder, IDbConnection connection, IDbTransaction transaction, Int32 commandTimeout) +96

Dynamicweb.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBuilder commandBuilder, IDbConnection connection, Boolean useTransaction, Int32 commandTimeout) +188

Dynamicweb.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBuilder commandBuilder, Boolean useTransaction, Int32 commandTimeout) +58

Dynamicweb.Security.UserManagement.Common.CustomFields.CustomFieldRepository.CreateCustomFieldColumn(CustomField field) +362

Dynamicweb.Security.UserManagement.Common.CustomFields.CustomFieldRepository.Save(CustomField field) +36

Dynamicweb.Security.UserManagement.Common.CustomFields.CustomField.Save() +30

Dynamicweb.Admin.CustomFields.CustomFieldEdit.SaveCustomFields() +1947

Dynamicweb.Admin.CustomFields.CustomFieldEdit.RequestValues() +598

Dynamicweb.Admin.CustomFields.CustomFieldEdit.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +440

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +106

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +68

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3785

Using this thread I tried the following:
We then tried to increase the timeout by first increasing the “/GLOBALSETTINGS/GLOBALSETTINGS/SYSTEM/DATABASE/COMMANDTIMEOUT”
but that did not help.

Then we tried to construct the “/GLOBALSETTINGS/SYSTEM/DATABASE/CONNECTIONSTRING” our self.
That worked for other actions, but not when editing a custom field. I know it worked for other situations because
when I changed to a host to a wrong one, the timeout I provided was used before it could not connect.

It's possible to mimic this behavior by locking the table:

I used this script, where I locked the table by running the first 3 lines, and released by running the last line

BEGIN TRANSACTION
UPDATE AccessUser WITH(TABLOCK)
Set AccessUserZip = 9999

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

As far as data persisted, we could see that a column was added to the AccessUser table, and a row was added to the CustomField table.

We can add those manually by coping from a non-production environment, but that seems a bit risky to me, since we don’t know if anything else happens.

Is there a way to work around this problem that I haven’t looked at?

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Daniel

I cannot say why you get that message. All the custom field feature does is adding a column to the table using ALTER TABLE [{0}] ADD [{1}] {2} - that in it self should not be a long running opereation. Also a new record is added in CustomField table. But that is it.

Maybe an index is missing on accessuser table?

Daniel Hollmann

I do have indexes

But since nothing else happens, is it then a is it then a good approach to add it manually?

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Manually should be fine.

But it is odd though. You can try to disable all indexes, add the field from the backend and see if that fixes it, and then enable them again. There are a lot of indexes and they probably rebuild when you add a new column

Daniel Hollmann

But why is the command not using the commandtimeout that I set?

You must be logged in to post in the forum